News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fast Train Coming

Started by Savonarola, April 16, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

I 100% support any program that gets me a cheaper trip to New Orleans than flying.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on April 16, 2009, 04:25:59 PM
Obama's rhetoric aside; this isn't a bad idea, but it's far removed from the stated objectives of the stimulus bill.  Construction; or even engineering jobs created by this process would be a long way off.
Stimulus doesn't have to be and shouldn't be just to do with immediacy.  The reason stimulus isn't generally a good idea is that most recessions are deep or long enough to justify them.  This one, I think, probably is.  Therefore I think it's probably a good idea that you have an immediate stimulus (short-term tax cuts and aid to the states), a more medium term stimulus (like this) and then hopefully those two will have sort of shunted the economy a bit closer to sustainable growth.  Basically you're trying to get a V shape rather than a W shape when the stimulus money runs out.  It's better to spend it in decent sized chunks over a couple of years than spend it now, though that would have a more immediate 'stimulating' effect.

From what I understand anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

The reason this isn't good is that, like Habbs said, we don't need money being thrown out to start new underfunded projects.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 05:23:44 PM
The reason this isn't good is that, like Habbs said, we don't need money being thrown out to start new underfunded projects.
If this is just seed money and the states will be on the hook to complete them that's one thing.  At least the states can turn it down (like some already have).  What would suck is if it leaves the federal government on the hook to finish them.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 16, 2009, 04:31:10 PM
Other way around. The trains are to get people out of there.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 04:31:33 PM
Here is an idea for stimulus dollars!

Here is an idea for stimulus!

CUT MY FUCKING TAXES.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:07:47 PM

CUT MY FUCKING TAXES.
How would that help?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I will buy more things.  Companies will therefore have more money.  Companies can therefore hire more workers, who will have jobs and hence more money, and can therefore buy more things.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:35:54 PM
I will buy more things.  Companies will therefore have more money.  Companies can therefore hire more workers, who will have jobs and hence more money, and can therefore buy more things.  :)
You may buy more things.  Most people won't.  They'll save their money because they're concerned about the massive personal debt they have and the fact that people generally don't like spending when they think there's an economic crisis.  People especially won't be spending if the US starts experience deflation.

Plus, as I mentioned elsewhere, I believe 52% of the stimulus is made up of tax cuts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:35:54 PM
Turns out that doesn't work in real life, since companies don't hire more workers.  At least not in the First World.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 06:07:47 PM

CUT MY FUCKING TAXES.

You need a 20% tax increase.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Like Neil indicated, if it's not maglev, it's a waste of time.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2009, 06:41:46 PM
You may buy more things.  Most people won't.  They'll save their money because they're concerned about the massive personal debt they have and the fact that people generally don't like spending when they think there's an economic crisis.  People especially won't be spending if the US starts experience deflation.

Plus, as I mentioned elsewhere, I believe 52% of the stimulus is made up of tax cuts.

I'm pissed off about the tax I had to pay because I made interest on my savings. :grr:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on April 16, 2009, 04:47:00 PM
Now can we get an initiative to move some of that truck freight back to the railways too? 

How would that ever make sense unless there was a massive penalty to using trucks?

MadImmortalMan

There's already more freight moving by rail than than by truck isn't there? Or at least it's a pretty significant percentage.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers