NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2009, 02:42:34 PM
Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 02:13:20 PM
Weren't you taking unemployment benefits?
Unemployment benefits are financed through insurance premiums.

And? Unemployment benefits are an important component of the welfare state. Given the negative connotations that Americans give the word, I'm sure working people will do anything possible to redefine welfare to include only benefits that other people are receiving from the government.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 02:51:22 PM
And? Unemployment benefits are an important component of the welfare state.
It makes as much sense to call Social Security "welfare." 

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2009, 02:54:11 PM
Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 02:51:22 PM
And? Unemployment benefits are an important component of the welfare state.
It makes as much sense to call Social Security "welfare."

It is welfare. However too many people are receiving it for Republicans to demonize it as bad welfare.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 02:55:15 PM
It is welfare. However too many people are receiving it for Republicans to demonize it as bad welfare.
You have an odd definition of welfare.  Tax refunds, should we include those too?  How about the interest on government bonds?

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2009, 03:18:39 PM
You have an odd definition of welfare.  Tax refunds, should we include those too?  How about the interest on government bonds?

I have a normal definition of welfare. Unfortunately Republicans can't tar and feather Social Security as well as they can Food Stamps. One off tax refunds in general no, but certainly I would include the Earned Income Tax Credit as welfare.

Faeelin

Hrmm. How seriously do legislators take groups like the Young Democrats?

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on December 04, 2009, 03:31:52 PM
Hrmm. How seriously do legislators take groups like the Young Democrats?

In my limited experience, not very seriously, although more bodies for knocking on doors and the like are always valued.

Faeelin

Quote from: ulmont on December 04, 2009, 03:37:54 PM
In my limited experience, not very seriously, although more bodies for knocking on doors and the like are always valued.

That's what I suspected; I was mostly curious about how much they value the labor. Apparently school's College Dems have deicded not to help out the state Democrats if they don't pass the bill in NJ, which I thought was heartwarming.

DGuller

Fate has a point.  Officially, Social Security is not a welfare program.  However, it does redistribute income, as the benefits it pays out are not proportional to the contributions paid in on individual level.  Not calling it a welfare program seems more like semantics than anything else. 

As for unemployment insurance, it usually is a real insurance.  However, it can also be a welfare program during the bad economic times, as any extension past 6 months is paid for directly by taxes.  However, even without that exception, on the practical level, the difference between this kind of compulsory insurance funded by compulsory payments, and actual welfare program funded my compulsory taxes, is largely semantical.

KRonn

Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 03:28:49 PM

I have a normal definition of welfare. Unfortunately Republicans can't tar and feather Social Security as well as they can Food Stamps. One off tax refunds in general no, but certainly I would include the Earned Income Tax Credit as welfare.
Those evil, hateful, spiteful, party crashing Republicans! It's just too bad that everyone can't just be Democrats!    :D

Jaron

Quote from: KRonn on December 04, 2009, 03:41:49 PM

Those evil, hateful, spiteful, party crashing Republicans! It's just too bad that everyone can't just be Democrats!    :D

Indeed, but if not for the GOP, the stupid people would have nowhere to go.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2009, 02:01:00 PM
So they can just pop up to Stamford for the weekend and come back married.

Edit: Maybe I'll invest in a gay wedding chapel there. It should do well.

Homer?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Jaron on December 04, 2009, 03:43:08 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 04, 2009, 03:41:49 PM

Indeed, but if not for the GOP, the stupid people would have nowhere to go.
Yep, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.      ;)

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on December 04, 2009, 03:39:35 PM
That's what I suspected; I was mostly curious about how much they value the labor.

Depends totally on the individual legislator's reelection, volunteer, and fund-raising situation.

Admiral Yi

What is your normal definition of welfare?  Because it seems to be any money disbursed by the government.

Of course EITC is welfare.  And as DGuller points out there is a redistributive component to Social Security.