News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nerdiness in your daily life. Are you "out"?

Started by The Larch, May 09, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you "out" as a nerd in your daily (co-workers, family, non-nerdy buddies) life? If so, how much?

I'm totally and flamingly out as a nerd, anybody who knows me knows it.
7 (15.9%)
I'm out but not flamboyant about it.
17 (38.6%)
I'm out for some selected people, but not for everyone.
9 (20.5%)
I'm hiding in the nerd closet, but willing to come out to some people.
3 (6.8%)
I wear my nerdiness as if it was a badge of shame and would never admit it publicly.
3 (6.8%)
I give wedgies to Jaron. Ha-ha, nerd!
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Drakken

Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2011, 10:49:30 AM
Am I the only one getting a feeling that whenever Drakken goes uber-macho on us, he's seriously over-compensating for something?

So, I don't agree on "nerd" being a good thing or a positive attribute. So what?

Present me arguments on why being a nerd is a quality or a positive thing for an individual being so, and we'll debate.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM
Just like gay is a derogatory term, right?

Strawman. Are you really equating social awkwardness and/or ineptitude with sexual identity, as if it was something people were born with? :huh:

Gays are born gay, nerds remain nerds because they choose to. There is something linked to sexual behavior in nerdiness, though: the longer you remain one, your chances of dying alone, virgin and childless increase exponentially.

This "nerd pride" bullshit is getting on my nerves. What's so attractive in remaining social outcasts debating on comics or Star Wars all day long, what's the mystique in it?

You are posting on a chat board whose members consist of outcasts from a Swedish history-based gaming site. And you are one of them. :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:48:35 AM
Of course it's getting on your nerves. Nerds always get on Jocks nerves. I'm sorry that all my social activity aren't trying to get laid with as many girls as possible.

Ah, the old "either/or" "nerd/jock" binary definition. Not out of high school, yet?

Being a former nerd myself, I have grounds to argue that nerd is a wholly negative attitude of self-defeat.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 10:54:04 AM
Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM
Just like gay is a derogatory term, right?

Strawman. Are you really equating social awkwardness and/or ineptitude with sexual identity, as if it was something people were born with? :huh:

Gays are born gay, nerds remain nerds because they choose to. There is something linked to sexual behavior in nerdiness, though: the longer you remain one, your chances of dying alone, virgin and childless increase exponentially.

This "nerd pride" bullshit is getting on my nerves. What's so attractive in remaining social outcasts debating on comics or Star Wars all day long, what's the mystique in it?

You are posting on a chat board whose members consist of outcasts from a Swedish history-based gaming site. And you are one of them. :D

He is a mod there, to boot.  :P

LaCroix

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:50:31 AM:lmfao:

Again, strawman. Are you equating nerdiness to an illness or a status based on defaults in development, either physical or mental?

:lmfao:

no? reread what i said, and what it was in reference to

Drakken

Doesn't equate that all here are nerds, correlation doesn't equal causation. Again, the fallacy of equating the pursue of activities defined as "nerdy" as being a nerd.

Here is the Webster's definition of a nerd. What comes on first?
Definition of NERD
Quote: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

The Larch

Anyway, this is my fucking poll and I don't want it derailed with the nth debate about semantics. For the purpose of the poll what I mean are the activities themselves, I don't want to enter into anybody's personalities.

DGuller

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:51:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2011, 10:49:30 AM
Am I the only one getting a feeling that whenever Drakken goes uber-macho on us, he's seriously over-compensating for something?

So, I don't agree on "nerd" being a good thing or a positive attribute. So what?

Present me arguments on why being a nerd is a quality or a positive thing for an individual being so, and we'll debate.
It's not so much what you're saying as it is how you're saying it.  Your act seems to be too tough to not be false.

LaCroix

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:56:21 AMHere is the Webster's definition of a nerd. What comes on first?
Definition of NERD
Quote: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

this really isn't helping your earlier claim that the "socially awkward" choose their fates, and thus deserve what they have coming to them

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2011, 10:57:43 AM
Anyway, this is my fucking poll and I don't want it derailed
You probably picked the wrong forum to post it on, then. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

I always thought of "nerd" as connoting a bookish academic sort and "geek" as being somebody into sci fi, fantasy, comics, etc. Considering Larch and Drakken's definitions differ from that, and from each other, it's not clear that there's any particular distinction between the two that has reached a critical mass. The words are in flux and can both be used as synonyms for a socially awkward person, but anything beyond that is likely to be misconstrued.

Edit- apparently Webster agrees with me though. :yeah:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2011, 10:59:25 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2011, 10:57:43 AM
Anyway, this is my fucking poll and I don't want it derailed
You probably picked the wrong forum to post it on, then. :blush:

I don't mind if it's derailed in a good way. A pointless debate about semantics is not what I'd consider a good way.  :lol:

LaCroix

does drakken know psychology, or only pseudo-seductologies?  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:56:21 AM

Doesn't equate that all here are nerds, correlation doesn't equal causation. Again, the fallacy of equating the pursue of activities defined as "nerdy" as being a nerd.

Here is the Webster's definition of a nerd.
Definition of NERD

Yeah, but I think it is you who have it backwards - you are equating certain pursuits with being "unattractive and socially inept" - such as debating about comic books or star wars or whatever. You've swallowed the stereotype.

Me, I'm totally open about my interests - many of which are stereotypically those of the classic "nerd" of legend - but I do not feel myself to be unattractive and socially inept. For one, I've never lacked for female companionship.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2011, 10:58:13 AM
It's not so much what you're saying as it is how you're saying it.  Your act seems to be too tough to not be false.

It's like Ed Anger said: the older I get, the more intolerant I become. It's less "toughness" than utter contempt for those people who remain nerds well passed their adulthood threshold and present it as a badge of pride and honor, rather than grow out of it.