Nerdiness in your daily life. Are you "out"?

Started by The Larch, May 09, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you "out" as a nerd in your daily (co-workers, family, non-nerdy buddies) life? If so, how much?

I'm totally and flamingly out as a nerd, anybody who knows me knows it.
7 (15.9%)
I'm out but not flamboyant about it.
17 (38.6%)
I'm out for some selected people, but not for everyone.
9 (20.5%)
I'm hiding in the nerd closet, but willing to come out to some people.
3 (6.8%)
I wear my nerdiness as if it was a badge of shame and would never admit it publicly.
3 (6.8%)
I give wedgies to Jaron. Ha-ha, nerd!
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Grey Fox

I'm out. Well I think I'm out. I work with 50 or so, other Software & hardware engineers, it's nerd club around here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

At work, I am 'out' to some people, namely people who I know by their profession are the same as me.  Examples: DBAs, software developers, etc.

I am not out to all of the accounting and finance people, though.  As far as they know my only hobbies are gardening and other sundry yardwork, boating, fishing, and shooting.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 09, 2011, 10:11:43 AM
I have noticed my tolerance declining rapidly as I get older.
You're becoming less tolerant? Jesus. when you gonna start sending letter bombs? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:14:49 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2011, 10:04:31 AM
Is there a difference between being a nerd and being a geek?  I'm unambiguously geeky, but I've never done stereotypically nerdy things, like watching Star Wars intentionally or reading a comic.

Is Vin Diesel a nerd? Because according to Larch's definition, he certainly would since he is a D&D addict and even wrote D&D fanfics. Ask any chick whether Vin Diesel is a geek, though.

I object to a definition of "nerd" tied to a trade. A nerd is a socially inept dweeb acting like an inferior in presence of others, whether he plays chess or is a master karateka. The activities or pursuits associated to it is due to correlation, not causation.

To me, there is nothing to be proud to be labeled a nerd, period. It's by definition derogatory; if you are labeled a nerd, you are doing something wrong and should get your shit together. Geek is just an attempt to put a positive spin to it to make it easier to live with, but they remain nerds by any other name.
If Dr. Phil were a drill sergeant, he would be like Drakken.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:14:49 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2011, 10:04:31 AM
Is there a difference between being a nerd and being a geek?  I'm unambiguously geeky, but I've never done stereotypically nerdy things, like watching Star Wars intentionally or reading a comic.

Is Vin Diesel a nerd? Because according to Larch's definition, he certainly would since he is a D&D addict and even wrote D&D fanfics. Ask any chick whether Vin Diesel is a geek, though.

I object to a definition of "nerd" tied to a trade. A nerd is a socially inept dweeb acting like an inferior and treated as such by others, whether he plays chess or is a master karateka. The activities or pursuits associated to it is due to correlation, not causation.

To me, there is nothing to be proud to be labeled a nerd, period. It's by definition derogatory; if you are labeled a nerd, you are doing something wrong and should get your shit together. Geek is just an attempt to put a positive spin to it to make it easier to live with, but they remain nerds by any other name.

Just like gay is a derogatory term, right?

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

Strawman. Are you really equating social awkwardness and/or ineptitude with sexual identity, as if it was something people were born with? :huh:

Gays are born gay, nerds remain nerds because they choose to. There is something linked to sexual behavior in nerdiness, though: the longer you remain one, your chances of dying alone, virgin and childless increase exponentially.

This "nerd pride" bullshit is getting on my nerves. What's so attractive in remaining social outcasts debating on comics or Star Wars all day long, what's the mystique in it?

dps

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:37:04 AM
Gays are born gay, nerds remain nerds because they choose to.

I'm not sure that either of those can be considered proven.  Note that I'm not saying that being gay is a choice, just that simply because something isn't a choice doesn't mean you are necessarily born that way.

LaCroix

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:37:04 AMsocial awkwardness [sic] as if it was something people were born with?

uh..? :unsure:

Drakken

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 10:41:18 AM
I'm not sure that either of those can be considered proven.  Note that I'm not saying that being gay is a choice, just that simply because something isn't a choice doesn't mean you are necessarily born that way.

I am conscious that development of homosexuality can be a highly complex mixture of nature and nurture anchored from childhood, but still by all intents and purposes being gay is not a matter of personal choice. Wishing not to be gay and remaining in the closet won't stop from being gay, it's a sexual identity.

Josquius

With most people.
If I just meet a new 'cool' person then I keep it quiet at first and steadily let it trickle out but with family I'm 'flaming' (hey, they've seen my warhammer) and with friends they generally know I'm a geek. I don't reveal the full depths of it of course. That would be social suicide.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

@drakken- example: the autistic have only themselves to blame :yes: ?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on May 09, 2011, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

Strawman. Are you really equating social awkwardness and/or ineptitude with sexual identity, as if it was something people were born with? :huh:

Gays are born gay, nerds remain nerds because they choose to. There is something linked to sexual behavior in nerdiness, though: the longer you remain one, your chances of dying alone, virgin and childless increase exponentially.

This "nerd pride" bullshit is getting on my nerves. What's so attractive in remaining social outcasts debating on comics or Star Wars all day long, what's the mystique in it?

Of course it's getting on your nerves. Nerds always get on Jocks nerves. I'm sorry that all my social activity aren't trying to get laid with as many girls as possible.

Caliga

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 10:41:18 AM
FWIW I've never met a gay person who didn't claim to be born gay.  I suppose it's possible that some or all of them are lying, but seems pretty unlikely as I'm not sure why one would choose an orientation that would bring them ridicule, discrimination, and in some cases physical harm. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Am I the only one getting a feeling that whenever Drakken goes uber-macho on us, he's seriously over-compensating for something?

Drakken

Quote from: LaCroix on May 09, 2011, 10:47:26 AM
@drakken- example: the autistic have only themselves to blame :yes: ?

:lmfao:

Again, strawman. Are you equating nerdiness to an illness or a status based on defaults in development, either physical or mental?