News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mowers of Lawn: To Me!

Started by C.C.R., May 06, 2011, 07:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 08:46:03 AM
I like riding my mower down the street, just to annoy the neighbors.

:lol:

I'm deep enough into Hicksville that the riding mower is a common mode of transportation for poorer DUI convicts to & from the bar.  Some of the more well-to-do DUI convicts use golf carts...

Caliga

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
If I lived closer I'd "clean the garage" for you if you provided the beer...

:hug:
I have about half of a twelver of PBR in the fridge. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 07:34:23 AM
So, tell me about your lawn mowing exploits.  Your lawns, your mowers, your rituals.  Do you have sheep eating your lawn like The Brain?  Or do you sit in a white linen suit drinking mint juleps & watch brown people mow your lawn like Ed Anger?  Enquiring minds want to know...

:ccr
I need about 1.5-2 hrs for the motorized lawn-mower on my yard.  Then I need to use the small lawn-mower to cut around the trees, add another 2hrs, then I need to use the weed-eater to finish the job around the fence, the trees and the ditches wich takes about 1.5 hours
Once it's done, I need to do it at my father's place, at the rental house and around the company's buildings, wich takes about 2 more hours.

I usually don't drink beer while doing this, or before this.  Once it's done, it's bbq time with a good bottle of wine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 08:38:55 AM
I'll start doing it myself once I clean out the garage enough to fit a ZTR in there.  ZTR mowers = fun.
I should be getting one this week or the next, a 48".  I used a regular tractor in the past, but my father sold it along with is other tractor and snow blower to buy a bigger one for the winter.  Don't see myself using the 12" all summer long.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 08:59:45 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 08:46:03 AM
I like riding my mower down the street, just to annoy the neighbors.

:lol:

I'm deep enough into Hicksville that the riding mower is a common mode of transportation for poorer DUI convicts to & from the bar.  Some of the more well-to-do DUI convicts use golf carts...

The best ones are the ones arrested for drunk driving of a lawn mower. :menace:

I'm loooking forward to soem good old-fashioned lawn mowing.  I haven't had a lawn for 5 years (my old house was gravel in front, forest in back).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 09:01:19 AM
Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
If I lived closer I'd "clean the garage" for you if you provided the beer...

:hug:
I have about half of a twelver of PBR in the fridge. :cool:

:mmm:

C.C.R.

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 09:11:49 AM
(my old house was gravel in front, forest in back)

There's a bawdy joke in there somewhere, but I'm too distracted making Weiner kid #2's breakfast to go looking for it...

:P

C.C.R.

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2011, 09:07:47 AM
I need about 1.5-2 hrs for the motorized lawn-mower on my yard.  Then I need to use the small lawn-mower to cut around the trees, add another 2hrs, then I need to use the weed-eater to finish the job around the fence, the trees and the ditches wich takes about 1.5 hours
Once it's done, I need to do it at my father's place, at the rental house and around the company's buildings, wich takes about 2 more hours.

I usually don't drink beer while doing this, or before this.  Once it's done, it's bbq time with a good bottle of wine.

Is this once a week?  Every two weeks?

viper37

Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 09:20:45 AM

once a week from May to the end of July, once every two weeks from August to the end of September.

Ed Anger

I bet I'm going to have to do this today. SHIT.

Maybe I'll run over a rabbit. Fucking vermin.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

C.C.R.

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2011, 09:22:51 AM
Quote from: C.C.R. on May 06, 2011, 09:20:45 AM

once a week from May to the end of July, once every two weeks from August to the end of September.

viper wins the thread...

;)

derspiess

I generally adhere to the Hank Hill philosophy on lawn care-- that cutting grass is a privilege you look forward to doing.  Since we've been in our house (coming up on 5 years) I've had to establish with the wife that the lawn is to be a high priority.  It's sometimes the first thing people notice when they look at the house, and a well cared-for lawn can be a cheap way to increase or preserve your property value.  At times I've taken time off of work just to cut my grass.  I've become: my dad, minus the installed sprinkler system. 

I've stayed away from riding mowers since some weeks cutting the grass is the most exercise I get.  I was offered one for free by my cousin but passed on it.  The idea of smoking a cigar and/or drinking a beer while mowing the lawn is alluring, but it'd be too much of a guilty pleasure.  Walk-behind, self-propelled, mulching mowers are the way to go IMO.  My "self-propelled" mower does only a small part of the work, but it helps a little with the side/back yard (I live on the side of a hill).

Re: garages, my mother in law decided to "organize" my garage for me a few days ago.  She did it before when she was visiting, also without asking me.  She apparently decided to organize things based upon aesthetics rather than on a functional basis-- e.g., my car-washing stuff is spread across the entire garage.  Never let a woman organize your garage :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Never let a woman in the garage.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 09:22:58 AM
Maybe I'll run over a rabbit. Fucking vermin.

I thought of you the other day...

On the far side of my neighbor's house the city owns a sliver of property that they use for storage, including several stacks of bricks.

Also, the local rabbit pack hangs out in my neighbor's yard.

So...

The other day my dog Stanley shot the gap between my fence & the neighbor's garage after one rabbit, flushed another rabbit out of a pile of sticks in the neighbor's burn pile and then chased those two rabbits plus a third rabbit in random figure eights around the multiple piles of bricks in the city lot.  Watching them all weave & bob, appear & disappear was like some bizzare cross between a Benny Hill sketch & the Musical Interlude of a Scooby Doo episode.  I think I peed myself a little from laughing so hard...

Ed Anger