And we're back!

Main Menu

Best National anthem

Started by Razgovory, May 05, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
I prefer the Battle Hymn of the Republic over the Star Spangled Banner

Hmm, you may be on to something with that.  I always got a kick out of singing it in church-- it's Hymn #717 in the official United Methodist hymnal, to the dismay of southern Methodists and hippies, who regularly campaign to have it removed.

QuoteBut my ideal choice would be to go with Stars and Stripes Forever.  Happy. Positive. Jingoist. Catchy.  It's got a good beat and you can dance to it, Dave.

I thought about some Sousa marches, but they're maybe a little too upbeat for a national anthem.  The best thing about The Star Spangled Banner is that it tells a defiant story from some of our darkest days, and it's pretty easy to visualize.

QuoteBut nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.

You're actually making it sound worse.  It's best for me if I think of it as just a general "French" song.  It was a tragedy when they lost their monarchy, as it was with most Euro countries that lost theirs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on May 06, 2011, 09:10:20 AM
The French beat no one, they were trounced like never and in got only by the backdoor because the Germans were too busy fending the Allies in the North.

:console:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:04:10 AM
Oh sure hop off the Kubelbandwagon when the going gets tough.
I may be of partial German ancestry, but remember the Germans threw my ancestors out of their homeland.  I feel a certain kinship with: the Jews. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 10:24:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:04:10 AM
Oh sure hop off the Kubelbandwagon when the going gets tough.
I may be of partial German ancestry, but remember the Germans threw my ancestors out of their homeland.  I feel a certain kinship with: the Jews. :cool:

:rolleyes: Come on, Kin of the Jews.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Cecil on May 06, 2011, 09:36:58 AM
Quote from: Brazen on May 06, 2011, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 04:38:14 AM
Isn't Pomp and Circumstance "Land of Freedom and Glory"?
Land of Hope And Glory

Which is a good one but seriously the english national anthem if they ever get one must be Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI&feature=related

One of the most stirring hymns I know. Always make my heart race when I hear a good version.

It's better than the others but I'd prefer the Enigma Variations - Nimrod by Elgar.

jamesww

Quote from: Gups on May 06, 2011, 11:26:06 AM
Quote from: Cecil on May 06, 2011, 09:36:58 AM
Quote from: Brazen on May 06, 2011, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 04:38:14 AM
Isn't Pomp and Circumstance "Land of Freedom and Glory"?
Land of Hope And Glory

Which is a good one but seriously the english national anthem if they ever get one must be Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI&feature=related

One of the most stirring hymns I know. Always make my heart race when I hear a good version.

It's better than the others but I'd prefer the Enigma Variations - Nimrod by Elgar.

Always brings a tears to my eyes when it's played at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

Razgovory

I prefer the Battle Hymn of the Republic over the Star Spangled Banner.  But my ideal choice would be to go with Stars and Stripes Forever.  Happy. Positive. Jingoist. Catchy.  It's got a good beat and you can dance to it, Dave.

But nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.

During WWII the US did some propaganda movies for solider called "Why we fight".  You've probably seen them.  The one about the battle of France ends with La Marseillaise with images of the French cavalry charging in North Africa.  Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2bn442RCT#p/c/3BBBE2CB1E41BF21/5/G4vVnt23bBI
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
You're actually making it sound worse.  It's best for me if I think of it as just a general "French" song.  It was a tragedy when they lost their monarchy, as it was with most Euro countries that lost theirs.

That's bullshit, and you know it.  As an American you fail.  Go to Canada, and suck Neil's monarchist cock, you fag.

Legbiter

The Norwegian one is nice, in the stodgy Scandinavian tradition, except all the verses between the first and the last are basically cheat sheets for your history exam.

My national anthem is just a plea to God not to kill us all at once. :lol: The Finnish one boiled down is "this land we live on, it's rather nice." The American one is all "Where's the flag, you seen the flag, where is it, oh there it is".
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Legbiter on May 06, 2011, 10:07:07 PM
The Norwegian one is nice, in the stodgy Scandinavian tradition, except all the verses between the first and the last are basically cheat sheets for your history exam.

My national anthem is just a plea to God not to kill us all at once. :lol: The Finnish one boiled down is "this land we live on, it's rather nice." The American one is all "Where's the flag, you seen the flag, where is it, oh there it is".

I was always amused by Ukraine's national anthem.

Ukraine: we're not dead yet!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I always thought, since 2004 this was the official Ukrainian anthem (starting at 0:40)?

Or was it this one? I forget.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 07:07:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 06:55:18 AM
But nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.
Yeah, at least the French can win in their songs even if they can't do it in real life. :)

History says otherwise, hater.
BOOKMARKED FOR FUCKING ETERNITY

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2011, 09:52:00 PM
The one about the battle of France ends with La Marseillaise with images of the French cavalry charging in North Africa. 

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I always wondered why some anthems go like "God save the Queen/King/Czar.  Do monarchs really want to make it sound like they need to be babied by God?

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2011, 11:53:16 PM
I always thought, since 2004 this was the official Ukrainian anthem (starting at 0:40)?

Or was it this one? I forget.  :blush:

err... no, it's been Sche Ne Vmerla Ukraina for as long as I've known... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.