And we're back!

Main Menu

Best National anthem

Started by Razgovory, May 05, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on May 05, 2011, 08:23:31 PM
I don't think that's a national anthem.
It's not, but it damn well should be... just like Rule Britannia.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I thought that the Uruguay national anthem was surprisingly good when it was sang at the World Cup last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHoqlRvi9o&feature=related
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

O Canada plays well at hockey games where people have airhorns.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

I like the Italian anthem, as well as a Brazilian one.  Too bad Massa isn't winning races anymore.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2011, 09:21:17 PM
Too bad Massa isn't winning races anymore.

Yes, dat a cryin' shame.  Always made my heart swold up whenever Massa done good.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2011, 09:47:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2011, 09:21:17 PM
Too bad Massa isn't winning races anymore.

Yes, dat a cryin' shame.  Always made my heart swold up whenever Massa done good.

:lmfao:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Of the British anthems, I quite like the Welsh national anthem, Land Of My Fathers best, if rather phlegm-inducing. Sounds best with either a male voice choir or rugby players :mmm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUnCwV3AYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMI5wpwXTCY

I think it's unfair Wales, Scotland and Ireland get their own anthems but England just uses the British one. :(

Talking of which Rule Britannia is much better than God Save the Whatever.

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on May 06, 2011, 03:55:32 AM
:cool:

I heard once that if Britain's national anthem were to be changed, a more likely option than Rule Britannia is that song that we always play in America for graduations... we call it Pomp and Circumstance but I don't remember the original title.  IMO Rule Britannia is a much better song.

Lettow77

Rule Britannia is an amazingly stirring song, and has no place in association with the modern UK.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

I second/third/fourth anyone who said that Rule Brittannia would make a much better anthem. Is it regarded as jingoistic btw? The words are pretty defiant, but not what I would call xenophobic/nationalistic, so I don't see why (if it is) it would be considered inappropriate for a modern day Brittain.

And if you go into the outer space, you can replace "waves" with "space" and continue singing it. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 04:20:20 AM
Quote from: Brazen on May 06, 2011, 03:55:32 AM
:cool:

I heard once that if Britain's national anthem were to be changed, a more likely option than Rule Britannia is that song that we always play in America for graduations... we call it Pomp and Circumstance but I don't remember the original title.  IMO Rule Britannia is a much better song.

Isn't Pomp and Circumstance "Land of Freedom and Glory"?

Caliga

Is that what it's called?  Yeah, that sounds familiar...

CountDeMoney

I prefer the Battle Hymn of the Republic over the Star Spangled Banner.  But my ideal choice would be to go with Stars and Stripes Forever.  Happy. Positive. Jingoist. Catchy.  It's got a good beat and you can dance to it, Dave.

But nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
But nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.
Yeah, at least the French can win in their songs even if they can't do it in real life. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 06:55:18 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
Yeah, at least the French can win in their songs even if they can't do it in real life. :)

History says otherwise, hater.