News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best National anthem

Started by Razgovory, May 05, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Inspired by Eddie's statement in another thread.

What do you think is the best national anthem of any country past or present.  Sadly, I live in a country that has a terrible national anthem.  The star Spangled banner is an aweful song.  It's hard to play, hard to sing and isn't very impressive.  This is odd since we have so many more stirring patriotic songs.  Perhaps it's a Missouri thing, Harry Truman didn't like it either.

Anyway, in my opinion, the best national anthem is La Marseillaise.  Catchy, and distinctive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

For those fuckards who have no idea what it sounds like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

A tie between La Marseillaise and Le Chant du Départ -_-

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Russian/Soviet anthem is pretty badass (they went back and took the same song, but with new words, right)?

God Save The Queen is nice in it's simplicity.

I agree Star Spangled Banner isn't a great anthem.

I always thought we should have stuck with Maple Leaf Forever as out anthem. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 01:03:18 PM
I always thought we should have stuck with Maple Leaf Forever as out anthem. :ph34r:

My father agrees with you.  One of his oddest quirks is how 'Oh Canada' fills him with rage because he loved the old Canadian anthem so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

I like Kimigayo (Japan's anthem).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Cecil

New Russian/Soviet is the best imo. French is good as well.

I write new russian because they apparently had another after the fall of the USSR but that one was never liked much so they went back to the old awesome one and wrote some new lyrics.

Valmy

While vastly inferior to the French ones I have always had a soft spot for the Romanian Deşteaptă-te, române for some reason.

Oh and Poland's Dąbrowski Mazurka.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2011, 01:04:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 01:03:18 PM

My father agrees with you.  One of his oddest quirks is how 'Oh Canada' fills him with rage because he loved the old Canadian anthem so much.

How old is your father?

I thought O Canada was somewhat the de facto national anthem since WWII or so (togetehr with God Save The Queen of course).

Valmy

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cecil

So anyone but me on youtube listening to all sorts of anthems right now?

Caliga

I like Ohio's national anthem too (Hang On Sloopy).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Cecil on May 05, 2011, 01:14:32 PM
So anyone but me on youtube listening to all sorts of anthems right now?

Do yourself a favour and check out Maple Leaf Forever. :thumbsup:

Camerus

In no particular order, and with no reference to politics, I've always liked the anthems of: 

Denmark, Russia/USSR, France, and the PRC.

Razgovory

Israel has a fairly good one as well.  Less bombastic then most.  Sadly our best patriot songs are associated with one part of our nation beating the shit out of the other part and couldn't be made a national anthem.

I didn't think the Russians had new words to their national anthem.  I thought they just had the tune.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017