News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best National anthem

Started by Razgovory, May 05, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Kicking Hitler in the ankle when he's already been machine-gunned in the head and stomach by Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt ain't winning, chief.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

No, I think it actually is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
I prefer the Battle Hymn of the Republic over the Star Spangled Banner.  But my ideal choice would be to go with Stars and Stripes Forever.  Happy. Positive. Jingoist. Catchy.  It's got a good beat and you can dance to it, Dave.

But nothing touches La Marseillaise as a national anthem.  To arms, citizens.  Form your battalions.  Chop off some motherfucking heads.

I agree, it's an awesome song, both music-wise and lyrics-wise.

Grey Fox

What's really good is the first part before the chorus

Allons enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
Contre nous de la tyrannie
L'étendard sanglant est levé
Entendez-vous dans nos campagnes
Mugir ces féroces soldats?
Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras.
Égorger vos fils, vos compagnes!

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 04:38:14 AM
Isn't Pomp and Circumstance "Land of Freedom and Glory"?
Land of Hope And Glory

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 07:08:53 AM
Kicking Hitler in the ankle when he's already been machine-gunned in the head and stomach by Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt ain't winning, chief.

Sorry the glorious French ended up beating your beloved Krauts pal :console: no reason to be bitter about it all the time. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

The Marseillaise is a classic and inspired many anthems such as the Portuguese A Portuguesa.
Le Chant de guerre de l'Armée du Rhin has more than one stanza but the one indicated by Grey Fox is the most commonly sung indeed.

I like the Italian anthem as well and my favorite rendition of the German anthem (Deustchland lied) is in the movie Escape to Victory  :D
The Marcha Real is nice as well but fails for having no official/PC lyrics.

While I do find some lyrics of the Marseillaise old-fashioned/un-PC those who criticise it in France are much worse so the Status quo is fine.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 08:01:55 AM
Sorry the glorious French ended up beating your beloved Krauts pal :console: no reason to be bitter about it all the time. -_-
"My Krauts"?  I ain't a German.  I am: American. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2011, 09:02:18 AM
"My Krauts"?  I ain't a German.  I am: American. :)

Oh sure hop off the Kubelbandwagon when the going gets tough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 08:01:55 AM

The French beat no one, they were trounced like never and in got only by the backdoor because the Germans were too busy fending the Allies in the North.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:32:02 AM
I prefer the Battle Hymn of the Republic over the Star Spangled Banner.

Damn right. The Battle Hymn makes me cream my pants.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 05, 2011, 05:45:33 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2011, 02:03:53 PM
Though it is awkward to sing, I still like l'Internationale...
*checks*

Oh yeah, I remember this song from Summer Games on my C64.  It is pretty good, yeah. :bowler:

P.S. Death to commies.

Was that the one they had for the Soviet Union?  I assumed that was the Soviet anthem until I watched The Hunt for Red October in the theater :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Scipio on May 05, 2011, 06:15:44 PM
Russian Imperial Anthem, God Save the Tsar.  Good stuff.

Not sure if I've ever heard it.  Got a link to a decent version?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Cecil

Quote from: Brazen on May 06, 2011, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 04:38:14 AM
Isn't Pomp and Circumstance "Land of Freedom and Glory"?
Land of Hope And Glory

Which is a good one but seriously the english national anthem if they ever get one must be Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI&feature=related

One of the most stirring hymns I know. Always make my heart race when I hear a good version.