News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

:hmm:  Wonder what the deal is with the upload speed.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

in the past five or so attempts throughout the day my download speed has fluctuated from around 1.0 to 2.8. my upload stays at around .0-.7 for a little while before upload test error. in two of my tries my internet simply died :(

:outback:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
The cost to provide 1 gb of data is estimated to be 1 to 3¢. The faster the pipe is, the cost becomes cheaper.

So start your own ISP, charge people 4 cents a gp and make beelions and beelions of dollars.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2011, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
The cost to provide 1 gb of data is estimated to be 1 to 3¢. The faster the pipe is, the cost becomes cheaper.

So start your own ISP, charge people 4 cents a gp and make beelions and beelions of dollars.

I do not have the millions of dollars requires to buy & build last mile infrastructure. It's funny because neither did Bell. They did it while they were a government company.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 08:46:50 PM
I do not have the millions of dollars requires to buy & build last mile infrastructure. It's funny because neither did Bell. They did it while they were a government company.

I don't remember Ma Bell being a government company when phone lines were installed and I'm almost positive they weren't when high speed fiber optic lines were laid.

Grey Fox

Laying the actual pipes is the easy part. Acquiring the right on the lands to do it is where it cost alot.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 05:24:02 PM
CAL'S BANDWIDTH USAGE:

April 2011 (Incoming: 52761 MB / Outgoing: 3290 MB)
March 2011 (Incoming: 24666 MB / Outgoing: 1502 MB)

for some reason my March stats only start at March 12th, though... I had reset my router to factory defaults a few months back, but I thought it was earlier than this.  Oh well. :hmm:

Geez, I run a server from my lab and pull far less than that. :P

Anyway:

99.99% of the time.  I'm dumping it soon and coloing the server, though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 09:00:36 PM
Laying the actual pipes is the easy part. Acquiring the right on the lands to do it is where it cost alot.

Eh, where do you get that from?  Work crews spent ahelluvalongtime slicing up the pavement in DC to lay cable.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2011, 09:02:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 09:00:36 PM

Eh, where do you get that from?  Work crews spent ahelluvalongtime slicing up the pavement in DC to lay cable.

I'm guessing it's usually a county/city thing.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 01:03:32 PM
I get 15mbps down at home & a pitiful 500kbps up.

On my phone, from inside my work building:

Here's what I get at home, probably degraded slightly because I'm on wifi with a laptop:

edit: I'd be perfectly content with my download speed if they'd just increase my upload speed to something respectable. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

And posting from home:

Still loads better than I saw in Whitehorse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son