News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on May 04, 2011, 01:03:45 PM
Did I misread the article? I don't see a mention of lowering the price for people who stay under the limit...
The people under the limit may not pay less immediately, but down the line they're less likely to get their rates increased.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 12:48:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2011, 10:08:50 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 09:58:37 AM
Time Warner have done a good job of avoiding the temptation to cap.

Research shows that Time Warner was testing it out a few years ago but faced outrage. With Comcast and AT&T aligned on this issue though, it seems like Time Warner would jump on the bandwagon.

That's what was said about Time Warner 3 years ago; hopefully it's just as wrong this time.  There is some TV and ISP competition seeping into my area, so hopefully that will help things.

What bandwagon could they jump on 3 years ago? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 11:56:56 AM
So, you're arguing for everyone's prices to go up rather than UBB.  I don't think that'll fly, for some reason.
But really, he isn't.  He's arguing that nobody's prices go up.  After all, you know the companies won't be lowering their prices.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2011, 01:40:11 PM

More or less the same one as now.  Thankfully it crashed & burned.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 01:49:58 PM

Can you explain that further? The bandwagon is now Comcast and AT&T, with the latter being a large player, I think.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

To be fair I must of course add that my broadband is free, in the sense that I pay nothing for it personally. I haven't seen the actual cost per apartment but it's something like $15 per month.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2011, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 01:49:58 PM

Can you explain that further? The bandwagon is now Comcast and AT&T, with the latter being a large player, I think.

I know Comcast for sure was going to start capping.  AT&T has been notorious for doing so with their wireless data service.

If Time Warner caps I may be tempted to just go with Sprint 4G (WiMax) since I get decent reception at my house and I could add a WiMax access point to my Sprint plan for $10 a month.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2011, 02:11:38 PM
To be fair I must of course add that my broadband is free, in the sense that I pay nothing for it personally. I haven't seen the actual cost per apartment but it's something like $15 per month.

So, who's picking up the rest of the costs?

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Is 100 Mb/s some sort of hard limit?  It seems like a lot of mega-fast Internet connections get close to that number, but none go over.

Caliga

KENTUCKY IN DA HIZZOUSE Y'ALL!

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

CAL'S BANDWIDTH USAGE:

April 2011 (Incoming: 52761 MB / Outgoing: 3290 MB)
March 2011 (Incoming: 24666 MB / Outgoing: 1502 MB)

for some reason my March stats only start at March 12th, though... I had reset my router to factory defaults a few months back, but I thought it was earlier than this.  Oh well. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Careful, Cal; if you had four more people using the internet on your connection just as much as you, you'd be over your limit!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive