News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

:)  There are advantages to being in the south.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2011, 12:06:20 PM
I hope this only includes the internet. My television comes down the same fiber and is essentially all "downloaded". Come to think of it, I got a big letter from them yesterday with a new set of terms and whatever. I think I should actually read that...

AT&T's service is only including the internet in its caps, yes, and you get "extra" bandwidth (100GBs) if you're part of their TV/internet/phone bundle service program.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
The cost to provide 1 gb of data is estimated to be 1 to 3¢. The faster the pipe is, the cost becomes cheaper.
Are you including the cost of capital in that?

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2011, 12:08:41 PM

:)  There are advantages to being in the south.
Show us home speeds.
:contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maximus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 12:01:35 PM

How much do you use?  I use the internet quite a bit, download a goodly amount of shows, etc. (though I don't use Netflix) and my usage came nowhere near the cap that AT&T's starting this month.
Yep, I just found it. With 3 computers in the house and someone always on them, we've so far stayed below 34 GB.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2011, 12:10:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
The cost to provide 1 gb of data is estimated to be 1 to 3¢. The faster the pipe is, the cost becomes cheaper.
Are you including the cost of capital in that?

I don't think so. I'm not viper.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Habbaku

Quote from: Maximus on May 04, 2011, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 12:01:35 PM

How much do you use?  I use the internet quite a bit, download a goodly amount of shows, etc. (though I don't use Netflix) and my usage came nowhere near the cap that AT&T's starting this month.
Yep, I just found it. With 3 computers in the house and someone always on them, we've so far stayed below 34 GB.

Careful, the usage-cap bogeyman is coming to get you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I think the most I've used in a month was 40 gigs, and that was when I bought a DVD player, and went crazy streaming all kinds of stuff on Netflix.

Maximus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 12:13:11 PM
Careful, the usage-cap bogeyman is coming to get you.
If we used netflix streaming video more I bet that would change. I can rarely find anything on there worth watching.

I wonder what the relative costs are for on-demand TV vs streaming video over IP.

MadImmortalMan

My household streams roughly 10 hours a day on average of Netflix traffic. Counting mine and my wife's. It's the primary viewing medium by a long shot. Second being the DVR. Live TV is almost an insignificance during non-NCAA football season.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2011, 10:08:50 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2011, 09:58:37 AM
Time Warner have done a good job of avoiding the temptation to cap.

Research shows that Time Warner was testing it out a few years ago but faced outrage. With Comcast and AT&T aligned on this issue though, it seems like Time Warner would jump on the bandwagon.

That's what was said about Time Warner 3 years ago; hopefully it's just as wrong this time.  There is some TV and ISP competition seeping into my area, so hopefully that will help things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I get 15mbps down at home & a pitiful 500kbps up.

On my phone, from inside my work building:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2011, 11:57:50 AM
I really don't get the outrage at all.  First of all, they're not capping it, they're just metering it, turning it from a flat price to a variable price.  Second of all, isn't that an economically efficient decision?  Shouldn't people who incur relatively more costs for the provider pay more?  If they don't, then users who don't use Internet a lot subsidize those who do, and the whole pie is less efficiently allocated.

Did I misread the article? I don't see a mention of lowering the price for people who stay under the limit...