Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2011, 11:14:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2011, 10:53:01 AM
It is pretty much the norm to have caps here.
Capped interwebs? WTF is this the Stone Age? Oh, it's Europe.

That's a little ironic given the OP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 11:30:06 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 09:59:38 AM
Stupid Regulators allowing this. The internet isn't like Electricity!

:huh:  Does this actually mean anything?  They are, in fact, trying to ration usage of a limited resource here by one of the most basic of methods--pricing.  How would "Stupid Regulators" not "allowing this" be better for anyone?

The internet or bandwith isn't a limited resource.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Shit. I've been a U-Verse customer since they first laid fiber up my street in ...2007? I fucking love it. Or maybe it's just that it's so much better than the Charter cable I had before. Either way, this is a big bummer. I use a hundred hours of Netflix a month easy.

I guess I'm the problem.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 11:33:07 AM

:huh:  Does this actually mean anything?  They are, in fact, trying to ration usage of a limited resource here by one of the most basic of methods--pricing.  How would "Stupid Regulators" not "allowing this" be better for anyone?

:tinfoil:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Faeelin

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
In both areas (mobile coverage and internet infrastructure) Western Europe had one advantage vs. U.S.: short distances, high population density. It's probably more viable economically to bring mobile and high speed broadband to, say North Germany or the Vienna/Bratislava hub than to a similarly sized  area in the U.S. Midwest or Alaska.

The relevant comparison would be parts of Europe that are less densely populated, no? And living in New YOrk, I can't get a download speed like Syt's...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 11:40:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 11:33:07 AM

:tinfoil:

Okay, there's a limit of bytes per second but you consuming 200gb of data/month or 2gb/month makes no difference.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 11:45:16 AM
Okay, there's a limit of bytes per second but you consuming 200gb of data/month or 2gb/month makes no difference.

Ah, now we're on to something.  Yes, I'm aware that there's virtually no difference between consumption of relatively little data and large amounts, but what method other than pricing by usage would you suggest the company use to recoup infrastructure investments that allow for greater bandwidth in the future?  At least pricing by usage would seem, on the face of it, to be a far more equitable method of doing so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

What the fuck good is a hundred megabits if you're capped at 60mb anyway?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Habbaku on May 04, 2011, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 11:45:16 AM

Ah, now we're on to something.  Yes, I'm aware that there's virtually no difference between consumption of relatively little data and large amounts, but what method other than pricing by usage would you suggest the company use to recoup infrastructure investments that allow for greater bandwidth in the future?  At least pricing by usage would seem, on the face of it, to be a far more equitable method of doing so.

I suggest a surcharge on iPhones and Macintosh computers.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2011, 11:51:21 AM
I suggest a surcharge on iPhones and Macintosh computers.
i.e. a gay tax. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2011, 11:53:58 AM
"Faster than 50% of US" really sells it. :lol:

"Only breaks down a few times a year!"

-J. R. R. Tolkien