News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2011, 11:08:10 AM
To be fair to America the internet is still new and exciting over there. It is not yet a routine thing that people just expect to work.
:mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Oh, and I also have a second broadband in case the main one has a hiccup. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 11:01:41 AM
There isn't.

We're lagging behind because the Telcos spend money on mobile infrastructure instead of the Wired infrastructure.

In both areas (mobile coverage and internet infrastructure) Western Europe had one advantage vs. U.S.: short distances, high population density. It's probably more viable economically to bring mobile and high speed broadband to, say North Germany or the Vienna/Bratislava hub than to a similarly sized  area in the U.S. Midwest or Alaska.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I like how I'm not even in the top 10% in Sweden.

Josquius

Scandinavia though has pretty great internet speeds and it is quite equal to the US for population density.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2011, 10:53:01 AM
It is pretty much the norm to have caps here.
Capped interwebs? WTF is this the Stone Age? Oh, it's Europe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Population density (/km2):

United States  32
Sweden  21

It's Wiki though so probably just lies.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2011, 11:16:04 AM

United States  32
Sweden  21

The difference is Sweden has one urban area and a whole lot of nothing, while the US has many urban areas separated by whole lots of nothing.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

I'm not even sure why a focus is being put on Scandinavia when discussing Europe. When has it ever been relevant? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2011, 11:14:53 AM

That's a little ironic given the OP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2011, 11:14:53 AM

That's a little ironic given the OP.

Not really given that grumbler was mocking the poster who made a similar statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 04, 2011, 11:23:12 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2011, 11:16:04 AM

United States  32
Sweden  21

The difference is Sweden has one urban area and a whole lot of nothing, while the US has many urban areas separated by whole lots of nothing.

Consider your straw firmly grasped.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 09:59:38 AM
Stupid Regulators allowing this. The internet isn't like Electricity!

:huh:  Does this actually mean anything?  They are, in fact, trying to ration usage of a limited resource here by one of the most basic of methods--pricing.  How would "Stupid Regulators" not "allowing this" be better for anyone?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zanza2

My UMTS connection only gets 1 mbit downstream and 0.25 upstream. And it's capped at 10 GB when they cut your speed. But you don't get to 10 GB with just 1 mbit downstream anyway. But it's cheap and mobile.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2011, 09:59:38 AM
Stupid Regulators allowing this.
Dude, it's the government.  Of course they're stupid and easily fooled by lobbyists.

Or perhaps it could be a tool for the company to use in order to ensure quality of service.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien