4 (20%)
Depends entirely on the destination.
7 (35%)
Squee!
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2011, 11:17:40 AM
As homely as she was, she should've been ecstatic that anyone wanted her to marry him.

Very fair but beside the point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2011, 11:15:02 AM
It was just enough for the bridal party to have a little in each of our glasses

:hmm:

I was locked and loaded to mock and humiliate you into ragequitting, but maybe the groomsmen and the bridesmaids are collectively known as the bridal party.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2011, 05:11:55 PM
Open bar = fun.

My brother's wedding was a Catholic wedding due to his mother in law's insistence.  I figured at least the reception would be good, but no-- everything was done on the cheap.  They had horrible boxed wine and (IIRC) Coors Light as the "open bar" and a cash bar for anything worth drinking.

The worst of it was that they procured *one* bottle of champagne (technically it was cava) for the reception.  One.  It was just enough for the bridal party to have a little in each of our glasses, and there was like a half-sip left over in the bottle.  I killed that last little bit, certain that there'd be more and my sister in law had the audacity to bitch at me for "drinking all the rest of the champagne" :frusty:

Now I'm not a proponent of lavish, expensive weddings.  But if you're not willing to do what is IMO the bare minimum for your guests (at least a glass of bubbly plus some decent free drinks from the bar), why fecking bother.

Thankfully my own in-laws are wine enthusiasts.  I probably killed 2.5 bottles of Mumm at my own wedding reception.

Ugh. I forget how much my booze bill was. Mainly because I drank soft drinks and one glass of champagne. I just sat at the head table and watched amused as my friends and her friends got blitzed and attempt to dance while blitzed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2011, 01:13:40 PM
It was just enough for the bridal party to have a little in each of our glasses

:hmm:

I was locked and loaded to mock and humiliate you into ragequitting, but maybe the groomsmen and the bridesmaids are collectively known as the bridal party.

I've heard it called both "wedding party" and "bridal party".  "Bridal" is more appropriate IMO since the whole wedding is centered on the bride.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2011, 05:11:55 PM
Open bar = fun.

My brother's wedding was a Catholic wedding due to his mother in law's insistence.  I figured at least the reception would be good, but no-- everything was done on the cheap.  They had horrible boxed wine and (IIRC) Coors Light as the "open bar" and a cash bar for anything worth drinking.

The worst of it was that they procured *one* bottle of champagne (technically it was cava) for the reception.  One.  It was just enough for the bridal party to have a little in each of our glasses, and there was like a half-sip left over in the bottle.  I killed that last little bit, certain that there'd be more and my sister in law had the audacity to bitch at me for "drinking all the rest of the champagne" :frusty:

Now I'm not a proponent of lavish, expensive weddings.  But if you're not willing to do what is IMO the bare minimum for your guests (at least a glass of bubbly plus some decent free drinks from the bar), why fecking bother.

Thankfully my own in-laws are wine enthusiasts.  I probably killed 2.5 bottles of Mumm at my own wedding reception.

I served tea for 5 people. 

Martinus

What's the ratio of huge dinner parties (usually involving renting out a hotel or a restaurant, with people sleeping over or even continuing into the next day) to smaller reception events (a glass of sparkling wine, some meal, and everybody goes home in a couple of hours) in the US culture?

In Poland, it used to be the former (with wedding parties often lasting for several days) but now it is often more "trendy" to go ahead with the latter (and the difference is not just the cost - the huge parties were usually done on more shitty food and drink for example).

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2011, 09:39:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 03, 2011, 02:37:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2011, 01:58:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 02:33:35 PM
Define a destination wedding.

A wedding that is also a vacation.  Like getting married in the Bahamas when nobody associated with the wedding is from the Bahamas.

Then against. It would force me to spend more than one evening with these people.  :yucky:

:lol:

You're such a people person.

As if Marti will be getting married.

I meant it from a perspective of a guest, not a groom.

Martinus

Incidentally, in same sex weddings, are both participants called "brooms"?  :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 03:14:42 AM
Incidentally, in same sex weddings, are both participants called "brooms"?  :hmm:

Myth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 03:14:42 AM

I thought they were called "bridezillas".

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 03:14:09 AM
I meant it from a perspective of a guest, not a groom.

I think it would be quite easy to slink off and do your own thang. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 03:12:36 AM
What's the ratio of huge dinner parties (usually involving renting out a hotel or a restaurant, with people sleeping over or even continuing into the next day) to smaller reception events (a glass of sparkling wine, some meal, and everybody goes home in a couple of hours) in the US culture?

In Poland, it used to be the former (with wedding parties often lasting for several days) but now it is often more "trendy" to go ahead with the latter (and the difference is not just the cost - the huge parties were usually done on more shitty food and drink for example).

I think a song can answer that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTFufbcx8DI
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius