4 (20%)
Depends entirely on the destination.
7 (35%)
Squee!
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on May 02, 2011, 07:45:45 PM
Usually the problem with such weddings is not many guests can afford to go.

Not necessarily a problem in my book.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 02:33:35 PM
Define a destination wedding.

A wedding that is also a vacation.  Like getting married in the Bahamas when nobody associated with the wedding is from the Bahamas.

Then against. It would force me to spend more than one evening with these people.  :yucky:

Monoriu

Some people in HK like to do destination weddings.  This is a way to avoid inviting friends and family - the "we want the romance of getting married in some exotic island but we can't afford to invite too many people there" excuse.  Almost like eloping.  This isn't too popular though, because the parents hate it.  Often the mothers insist on a traditional Chinese wedding banquet either before or after the wedding anyway. 

I've never been invited to one, and I don't know anybody who does it.  The lure of the wedding banquet to the parents is too strong. 

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2011, 01:58:15 AM

A wedding that is also a vacation.  Like getting married in the Bahamas when nobody associated with the wedding is from the Bahamas.

Then against. It would force me to spend more than one evening with these people.  :yucky:

:lol:

You're such a people person.

Brazen

I went on holiday to Jamaica (to stay with a relative working out there) and came back married, but that's probably not the same thing.

I'd do it all over again :wub:

Would I fuck, get real.

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2011, 02:27:20 PM
My brother just told me he wants to do a destination wedding with his soon-to-be-fiancee.

What do people think about this, have you ever been to (or had) one, etc.?

My initial thought is "fine with me, as long as you're paying."  He confirmed he would be and would probably only be for me and Princesca, his girl's siblings (and not all of them, for some reason), and both sets of parents.

Initial thoughts on the destination are Ireland ( :blink: ) or Spain ( :yeah: ).

Love,
Caliga

Where in Spain? :shifty:

Caliga

He spent a summer on Menorca, so I would expect it figures into his plans.  He's constantly talking about how he wants to take us all there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2011, 05:32:49 AM
He spent a summer on Menorca, so I would expect it figures into his plans.  He's constantly talking about how he wants to take us all there.

It's a beautiful place, take your bathing suits for the trip.

And try the local mayonaisse, it was invented there after all.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on May 03, 2011, 02:37:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2011, 01:58:15 AM

:lol:

You're such a people person.

As if Marti will be getting married.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on May 02, 2011, 02:57:43 PM
You're only supposed to get married once.

That's why I think marriage should be entered with this approach:

QuoteYou must know again my reluctancy to marry, my feeling that I shatter thereby chances in work which means so much to me.

In our life together I shall not hold you to any medieval code of faithfulness to me, nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly.

I may have to keep some place where I can go to be myself now and then, for I cannot guarantee to endure at all times the confinements of even an attractive cage.

I must extract a cruel promise, and that is you will let me go in a year if we find no happiness together.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza2

A colleague of mine married on the beach in Hawaii. The reason was that his wife is from Japan, so they figured that Hawaii was "halfway" between Japan and Germany. Going by the marriage pictures, they had maybe ten guests or so each. But I don't know whether they paid for all of them.

It's fairly common to marry in some kind of castle or old noble mansion or so in Germany and often these places are a bit away from the normal place people live.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 03, 2011, 10:48:41 AM
A colleague of mine married on the beach in Hawaii. The reason was that his wife is from Japan, so they figured that Hawaii was "halfway" between Japan and Germany. Going by the marriage pictures, they had maybe ten guests or so each. But I don't know whether they paid for all of them.

It's fairly common to marry in some kind of castle or old noble mansion or so in Germany and often these places are a bit away from the normal place people live.

Honolulu -> Tokyo: 3856 miles or 6205 kilometers

Honolulu -> Frankfurt: 7445 miles or 11982 kilometers

If that's her definition of halfway, I'm guessing he does more of the compromising in that relationship.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 03, 2011, 10:48:41 AM

Heh I figured you had those things every couple kilometers out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2011, 05:11:55 PM
Open bar = fun.

My brother's wedding was a Catholic wedding due to his mother in law's insistence.  I figured at least the reception would be good, but no-- everything was done on the cheap.  They had horrible boxed wine and (IIRC) Coors Light as the "open bar" and a cash bar for anything worth drinking.

The worst of it was that they procured *one* bottle of champagne (technically it was cava) for the reception.  One.  It was just enough for the bridal party to have a little in each of our glasses, and there was like a half-sip left over in the bottle.  I killed that last little bit, certain that there'd be more and my sister in law had the audacity to bitch at me for "drinking all the rest of the champagne" :frusty:

Now I'm not a proponent of lavish, expensive weddings.  But if you're not willing to do what is IMO the bare minimum for your guests (at least a glass of bubbly plus some decent free drinks from the bar), why fecking bother.

Thankfully my own in-laws are wine enthusiasts.  I probably killed 2.5 bottles of Mumm at my own wedding reception.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2011, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 02, 2011, 02:57:43 PM
You're only supposed to get married once.

That's why I think marriage should be entered with this approach:

QuoteYou must know again my reluctancy to marry, my feeling that I shatter thereby chances in work which means so much to me.

In our life together I shall not hold you to any medieval code of faithfulness to me, nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly.

I may have to keep some place where I can go to be myself now and then, for I cannot guarantee to endure at all times the confinements of even an attractive cage.

I must extract a cruel promise, and that is you will let me go in a year if we find no happiness together.

As homely as she was, she should've been ecstatic that anyone wanted her to marry him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall