I'm against.
4 (20%)
Depends entirely on the destination.
7 (35%)
Squee!
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Caliga

My brother just told me he wants to do a destination wedding with his soon-to-be-fiancee.

What do people think about this, have you ever been to (or had) one, etc.?

My initial thought is "fine with me, as long as you're paying."  He confirmed he would be and would probably only be for me and Princesca, his girl's siblings (and not all of them, for some reason), and both sets of parents.

Initial thoughts on the destination are Ireland ( :blink: ) or Spain ( :yeah: ).

Love,
Caliga
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I haven't been to one, or invited.

Wait - he's paying for you to go?  Not what I would have expected.

My thoughts are "it's your wedding, do whatever you want, but don't be offended if people don't go".  That's a big commitment.

I'm somewhat dreading the almost-certain Brazil wedding for my brother, but that's somewhat different circumstances...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2011, 02:29:42 PM
My thoughts are "it's your wedding, do whatever you want, but don't be offended if people don't go".  That's a big commitment.

This
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Define a destination wedding.

jamesww

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 02:33:35 PM

A wedding that is also a vacation.  Like getting married in the Bahamas when nobody associated with the wedding is from the Bahamas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Yes, what Mongers said.  Basically "Look how badass I am, I can afford to fly everyone to some tropical paradise to witness me get married." :)

My brother is expecting to lose his (albeit well-paying) job soon because he works for T-Mobile and alot of shit is going to be eliminated in the merger with AT&T.  However, his girlfriend is a chemical engineer for du Pont so even if he gets laid off and can't find something in the immediate future they'll be ok.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2011, 02:29:42 PM

This
That was basically the first thing I said to him, and his reply was "I'm good with that."

He cares even less about what people think of him than I do, which is saying a lot given how little I care. :)

derspiess

Between me and my two best friends, all of ours have been destination weddings.  Mine was in Buenos Aires and the other two were on a Caribbean cruise and Vegas.  We had a few friends/family fly to Argentina for ours, the cruise was just my wife, me, and the couple getting married, and Vegas had a fair number of people fly out since it was fairly cheap.

When I compare any of the three to my brothers' bland, generic weddings I'm definitely glad we decided to do the destination thing for ours.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2011, 02:48:13 PM
He cares even less about what people think of him than I do, which is saying a lot given how little I care. :)

How come whenever you say something like this you always put a little smily face at the end?

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2011, 02:53:09 PM
Between me and my two best friends, all of ours have been destination weddings.  Mine was in Buenos Aires and the other two were on a Caribbean cruise and Vegas.  We had a few friends/family fly to Argentina for ours, the cruise was just my wife, me, and the couple getting married, and Vegas had a fair number of people fly out since it was fairly cheap.
Does yours really count?  I mean, your wife is from there so presumably her family was all there, right?

By that standard I had a destination wedding, too. :P

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2011, 02:46:30 PM
Yes, what Mongers said.  Basically "Look how badass I am, I can afford to fly everyone to some tropical paradise to witness me get married." :)

My brother is expecting to lose his (albeit well-paying) job soon because he works for T-Mobile and alot of shit is going to be eliminated in the merger with AT&T.  However, his girlfriend is a chemical engineer for du Pont so even if he gets laid off and can't find something in the immediate future they'll be ok.

I would assume it's more of "Let's do something special for our wedding."

My sister has this dream about getting married in Hawaii, and I think it's a splendid idea. Of course, they're not well-to-do by any stretch even if they're both gainfully employed so it's probably going to be a small wedding party. However, I say go for it: You're only supposed to get married once. I'll happily help them a bit along the way.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 02:57:10 PM
How come whenever you say something like this you always put a little smily face at the end?
I put a smiley face at the end of most of my posts.  It's sort of becoming a schtick of mine.  I got bored with the tits schtick so I replaced it with some others, such as signing off with a smiley face.  I was kind of inspired to do it by Arky who used to sign off with a mean face because "people tell me I have that expression a lot in real life".  In real life I'm like a Smiling (Laughing) Buddha figure. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2011, 02:59:26 PM
I put a smiley face at the end of most of my posts.  It's sort of becoming a schtick of mine.  I got bored with the tits schtick so I replaced it with some others, such as signing off with a smiley face.  I was kind of inspired to do it by Arky who used to sign off with a mean face because "people tell me I have that expression a lot in real life".  In real life I'm like a Smiling (Laughing) Buddha figure. :)

Ah gotcha.

Caliga

Quote from: Slargos on May 02, 2011, 02:57:43 PM
However, I say go for it: You're only supposed to get married once. I'll happily help them a bit along the way.
Cool, I'll let my brother know a random Scandinavian racist dude is going to help out the cost of his wedding. :)