News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What the Internet reveals about sexual desire

Started by garbon, May 03, 2011, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 04, 2011, 09:51:35 AM
Again, not macho enough. Catullus himself may have been more like Marty or Grallon, but that poem is vintage Siegebreaker.
Well, I threw Marti out there because he tends to react violently when people mock him.  It seems like Seige doesn't get it a lot of the time when he's being mocked.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on May 04, 2011, 08:20:31 AM
Evidently it was considered quite degrading in Roman times.  The Romans really weren't as cool as they're often made out.
Really?  I watched a documentary about Caligula, and it seemed quite widespread.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 09:54:49 AM
Well, I threw Marti out there because he tends to react violently when people mock him.  It seems like Seige doesn't get it a lot of the time when he's being mocked.

But when he does he responds Catullus-like.  Marty has never threatened anybody with forcible sodomy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2011, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 09:54:49 AM

But when he does he responds Catullus-like.  Marty has never threatened anybody with forcible sodomy.

He'd have to actually enjoy it first. :whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Drakken

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2011, 11:12:30 AM
Really?  I watched a documentary about Caligula, and it seemed quite widespread.

Romans didn't fuss over homosexuality,  but they fussed about men playing the bottom like females, which was considered very unmanly. Brothels were widespread and easy to access, they even had ads in the streets.

Claudius was the first Roman Emperor not to have boy or male lovers, and it was used against him by his opponents. That tells you.

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 04, 2011, 08:20:31 AM
Evidently it was considered quite degrading in Roman times.  The Romans really weren't as cool as they're often made out.

Well, if I remember various tv documentaries correctly, Romans considered the mouth kind of sacred and therefore oral sex had something slightly forbidden about it, though I guess it would be similar to today's status of (hetero) anal sex?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on May 04, 2011, 11:39:36 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2011, 11:12:30 AM

Romans didn't fuss over homosexuality,  but they fussed about men playing the bottom like females, which was considered very unmanly. Brothels were widespread and easy to access, they even had ads in the streets.

This is correct - Romans were okay with guys being pitchers, but catchers were looked down on.

Face-fucking was considered particularly humiliating (moreso than a simple blow job) because it was so passive on the part of the catcher.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Huh. I had the impression that homosexuality in general was looked down upon as a sort of Greek affectation by the Romans.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

And even if you did feel like breaking all the sexual taboos that did exist you were ok doing it so long as you were discrete.

As in don't be like Elagabalus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2011, 11:48:43 AM
Huh. I had the impression that homosexuality in general was looked down upon as a sort of Greek affectation by the Romans.

Later in the empire, it started to be proscribed. In general, through most of the republican and imperial period, it was looked at as somewhat licencious by the morally-minded, with ridicule reserved for those older men who liked to take the passive role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Rome
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2011, 11:48:43 AM
I seem to recall that there was a class distinction; i.e. the lower classes were less tolerant of homosexuality than the upper classes were.  Which probably correlates well with modern society, when you think about it.

Syt

Hm, I should re-watch Caligula again, now that I have a larger tv.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2011, 11:53:47 AM
Later in the empire, it started to be proscribed. In general, through most of the republican and imperial period, it was looked at as somewhat licencious by the morally-minded, with ridicule reserved for those older men who liked to take the passive role.
Well duh, of course it did when the empire became staunchly Christian. :D

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2011, 11:54:59 AM
Hm, I should re-watch Caligula again, now that I have a larger tv.
I like the part when he condemns Gemellus.

"No, Theeeeeeeeeeeeeser.... Nooooooooo....."

What a pussy. :lol: