[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

What really sucks is now an Open & affordable Internet is a thing of the past.

Thanks Ontario.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2011, 05:48:06 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2011, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
Sovereignty isn't achieve in Ottawa but in Quebec. An Harper majority will help the cause.
Why would you be a sovereigntist anyways?  Aren't you the kind of of guy who needs Canada to send money to Quebec so that they can support you?
No more then you. Mister Oil subsidies.
Those aren't really important because Alberta is a producer of wealth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Now that the Conservatives have their majority will they weaken the Feds and give more power to the provinces?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2011, 07:16:51 AM
Not yet. The Liberals are too proud and will refuse to negotiate with the NDP from a weaker position. No, they'll run one more election. And though they'll probably gain seats especially in Quebec, it won't be enough to stop another Conservative victory.

Then the NDP and Liberals may reconsider.
I would be surprised.  A lot of the rise of the NDP has to do with the personal popularity and approachability of Jack Layton, who is not a well man.  Will Layton be around for the next election?  Will Mulcair be able to continue on from that?  Or will the NDP be back to their 30 or so seats?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Oexmelin

It will really depend on the NDP's performance in Quebec. Were I a Liberal supporter, I would at least wait a year or two to see how it turns out.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2011, 08:09:29 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2011, 07:16:51 AM
Not yet. The Liberals are too proud and will refuse to negotiate with the NDP from a weaker position. No, they'll run one more election. And though they'll probably gain seats especially in Quebec, it won't be enough to stop another Conservative victory.

Then the NDP and Liberals may reconsider.
I would be surprised.  A lot of the rise of the NDP has to do with the personal popularity and approachability of Jack Layton, who is not a well man.  Will Layton be around for the next election?  Will Mulcair be able to continue on from that?  Or will the NDP be back to their 30 or so seats?

I agree about Layton's popularity; but I don't think he is necessarily entrenched in Quebec. I think Quebec will be wide open, and up for anybody to win, next time around.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Iggy to make press conference at 10 am ET

Can only mean one thing.......

.....Osama's dead.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Camerus

People who are predicting the demise of the Liberal party are acting way too prematurely.  The Liberal Party - the natural governing party of Canada - isn't going anywhere.

Nor do I believe the NDP can really gain any kind of permanent foothold in Quebec.  Quebec voters are incredibly fickle, and when they realize the NDP can't deliver anything for Quebec, I am sure they will vote for the Next Big Thing in the next federal election.

I imagine the Conservatives will become increasingly scandal-prone and arrogant during their majority.  This will lead to the election of the Liberal Party in the next federal election in 4-5 years.  You heard it here first.   :)

Josephus

Oexmelin

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 03, 2011, 09:12:39 AM
I imagine the Conservatives will become increasingly scandal-prone and arrogant during their majority.  This will lead to the election of the Liberal Party in the next federal election in 4-5 years.  You heard it here first.   :)

With the death of public funding of political party, I wouldn't be so quick to predict the reelection of the Liberals. The Cons didn't simply win to have their ideas triumph. The won so that their hold onto power would remain for years to come.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Welcome to Ruth Ellen Brosseau btw.  She campaing hard, very hard on the field to convince the voters she was the best choice.

meet Ruth

She's working in Ottawa, living in Gatineau, MP of a riding 1hr east of Montreal.  And she doesn't speak French.
Although she's cute, since she lives in Quebec and not Ottawa, that doesn't disprove the general theory about girls over there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 03, 2011, 09:16:39 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 03, 2011, 09:12:39 AM

With the death of public funding of political party, I wouldn't be so quick to predict the reelection of the Liberals. The Cons didn't simply win to have their ideas triumph. The won so that their hold onto power would remain for years to come.
I need a ghost smiley.
This one  :homestar: just isn't good enough.

The Cons won to replace the Libs as the natural governing party.  There's no harm in that.  It's not like the PQ expect to win so they can lose for the next 20 years after that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2011, 11:05:17 AM
Welcome to Ruth Ellen Brosseau btw.  She campaing hard, very hard on the field to convince the voters she was the best choice.

meet Ruth

She's working in Ottawa, living in Gatineau, MP of a riding 1hr east of Montreal.  And she doesn't speak French.
Although she's cute, since she lives in Quebec and not Ottawa, that doesn't disprove the general theory about girls over there.

So she is the one who spent her campaign money and her whole campaign time whoring around in Vegas, eh?

Jacob

Grallon

Quote from: Drakken on May 03, 2011, 11:15:29 AM

So she is the one who spent her campaign money and her whole campaign time whoring around in Vegas, eh?

She looks like a cheap lap dancer.  Maybe she'll go on doing that in Ottawa.

-----

Incidentally it came to me this morning that Legault's group was in need of soldiers - and the Bloc's ex MPs are now out of a job...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel