News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who the hell is an immigrant?

Started by Slargos, April 27, 2011, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I never thought of "German" as cool.  I just say German because my last name is German.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2011, 11:01:22 AM
Two, people with mixed ethnic heritage(which is nearly all of us) are more likely to latch on to a "cool" ancestry like German or Irish.

I think it is usually because of their last name.  Nobody named 'Smith' claims to be German.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Wow!  :lol:

I cannot believe there is still a nation whose educational system thinks Thomas Malthus was right! Two (at least) of our Swedes have an epic history fail.  So much for claims of Sweden being any kind of an advanced society!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 11:05:13 AM
I think it is usually because of their last name.  Nobody named 'Smith' claims to be German.

Well, the most common last names in the US are all British in origin. Smith, Jones, Williams, Johnson, Brown, Davis, Miller, etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2011, 11:05:57 AM
Wow!  :lol:

I cannot believe there is still a nation whose educational system thinks Thomas Malthus was right! Two (at least) of our Swedes have an epic history fail.  So much for claims of Sweden being any kind of an advanced society!

I find it very hard to argue with Malthus, and if you're going to be honest, so do probably you.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2011, 11:01:22 AM
I don't think the preponderance of Britishness in Americans is as low as surveys would indicate, for two reasons. One, the original immigrants frequently came here much longer ago and got forgotten. Two, people with mixed ethnic heritage(which is nearly all of us) are more likely to latch on to a "cool" ancestry like German or Irish.

But neither German nor Irish ancestry is cool.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2011, 11:09:21 AM

Well, the most common last names in the US are all British in origin. Smith, Jones, Williams, Johnson, Brown, Davis, Miller, etc.

Not just British but English.  Looking at those lists I am actually pretty surprised at how English and Spanish last names dominate.  Maybe Germans and Italians and Scots and Irish have alot more variety in their last names...or maybe it splits people who anglicized their names and ones who did not.  One of the German families I am descended from are the Kepharts and there are literally no Kepharts anywhere in Germany except for one town in the Rhineland....called Kephart oddly enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 11:10:43 AM
I find it very hard to argue with Malthus, and if you're going to be honest, so do probably you.
True; dead men are even less articulate than Swedes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 11:17:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2011, 11:09:21 AM

Not just British but English.  Looking at those lists I am actually pretty surprised at how English and Spanish last names dominate.  Maybe Germans and Italians and Scots and Irish have alot more variety in their last names...or maybe it splits people who anglicized their names and ones who did not.  One of the German families I am descended from are the Kepharts and there are literally no Kepharts anywhere in Germany except for one town in the Rhineland....called Kephart oddly enough.

I know some of my family changed their name during WWI.  It was something like Von Dreagi and they changed it to Dreager.  I'm surprised the ones  named "Hess" didn't change their names during WWII.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2011, 11:17:32 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 11:10:43 AM
True; dead men are even less articulate than Swedes.

:lol:

Well caught.

That quip aside, I think the basic foundation of Malthus' argument is self-evident even if some of the conclusions he draws are erroneous.

At any given level of technology, the theoretical capacity to produce food is finite and since ultimately all wealth is derived from the production of foodstuffs, wealth is also a finite resource which when stretched will mean those who have not will have their basic quality of life reduced as the population grows. This is averted by increasing the efficiency of the production but unless more resources or infinite efficiency in existing resources (where instead living space and power production will set the limit) can be developed there is a natural roof which when hit will produce the effects as described by Malthus.

It's not hard to see the results already in African nations.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 11:17:11 AM
Not just British but English. 

England and Wales have a lot of the same names. Probably because a lot of people didn't settle on surnames until after they were joined.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 11:24:47 AM
That quip aside, I think the basic foundation of Malthus' argument is self-evident even if some of the conclusions he draws are erroneous.
No, because the foundation of his argument is that population grows exponentially and resource production grows linearly.  He failed to understand what the Industrial Revolution was doing to the production of resources and goods.  Not his fault; he had inadequate data.

Ditto for Ricardo.

The writings of these two created the motivations behind most social thinking of the Nineteenth century, though, so I can see why the Nineteenth Century Sweden of today would still teach this stuff as though it were accurate.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 10:21:40 AM
Well majority British-descended Americans have long ceased to be a literal majority over here

Is this relevant?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.