Main Menu

Who the hell is an immigrant?

Started by Slargos, April 27, 2011, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 09:23:48 AM
Quote from: Pat on April 27, 2011, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 09:17:34 AM
It just seems odd that a people who a few generations ago flocked to my country to escape the poverty and famine that result in their incompetent self rule would be bothered by immigrants coming to their country for the same reason.  If anything, the Muslim would likely run it better.  After all, they managed to keep an empire for longer then the Swedes did.

:facepalm:

History understanding fail, read some Malthus (not the poster).

Anyway I thought it was pretty good, though of course it knocks down open doors.

I think the poster Malthus is more enlightening to then the theorist who's catastrophe never managed to occur.

... because his recommendations were largely inadvertently followed in the West.

If you look at the less civilized parts of the world, IE the Rest, that's a different story.

How many people are Not Starving solely on the basis of humanitarian aid?

Pat

It just seems odd that a people who a few generations ago flocked to my country to escape the poverty and famine that result in their incompetent self rule would be bothered by immigrants coming to their country for the same reason.  If anything, the Muslim would likely run it better.  After all, they managed to keep an empire for longer then the Swedes did.

Anyway I thought it was pretty good, though of course it knocks down open doors.

I think the poster Malthus is more enlightening to then the theorist who's catastrophe never managed to occur.

Would've saved you from making that stupid argument.

Camerus

So with current trends, how much longer until Sweden becomes less than 50% ethnic Swedes?

Pat

IIRC we have ~1 mill first or second generation immigrants out of 9 million people currently (a percentage exceeding that of the %.immigrants in the US at any time the last 100 years btw). Slargos will probably know the exact numbers.

edit:clarified

Syt

30-40% of people in Vienna were either born abroad or have a parent born abroad.

Of course it's always a question who's meant when people talk of "immigrants" and "foreigners".

West/North Europeans and white Americans hardly register as "foreigners" of public debate. People always laugh when I say that - here, in Austria - I'm a foreigner/immigrant.

Foreigners means (in roughly this order):
- Turks
- Ex-Yugos
- Other Arab-looking folks
- Romanians/gypsies
- Other Balkans folks
- Black Africans
- everyone else

Chinese/Indians aren't part of public debate, even though there's quite a few here.

Also, the biggest single-nation group of foreigners in Vienna are Germans, which is also rarely notices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pat

The biggest single group of immigrants in Sweden is the finns.  :(

Slargos

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 27, 2011, 09:37:33 AM
So with current trends, how much longer until Sweden becomes less than 50% ethnic Swedes?

Projections say between 2035-2050 with current trends holding, might well be much closer to the sooner than the latter, given the rate of increase of immigration.

But the official answer is "Who's really Swedish? There's no such thing as an ethnic Swede".

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 09:58:15 AM

Projections say between 2035-2050 with current trends holding, might well be much closer to the sooner than the latter, given the rate of increase of immigration.

I'd like to know how those numbers are calculated.

Camerus

Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 09:58:15 AM

How likely do you honestly consider that to become a reality?

Valmy

Well majority British-descended Americans have long ceased to be a literal majority over here but we have successfullly gotten most of the people to adopt our way of life anyway.  But that might just be because we are awesomer than Swedes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Pat on April 27, 2011, 09:29:47 AM

Would've saved you from making that stupid argument.

Perhaps it would have caused me to Rape a POW as well.  You stick to your ways, and I'll stick to mine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 10:21:40 AM
Well majority British-descended Americans have long ceased to be a literal majority over here but we have successfullly gotten most of the people to adopt our way of life anyway.  But that might just be because we are awesomer than Swedes.

Retard American talks about things he doesn't know anything about, news at 11. What is your source for the majority of immigrants here not adopting our way of life? Slargos? Seriously, what the fuck do you know about this?

Valmy

Quote from: Pat on April 27, 2011, 10:43:30 AM
Retard American talks about things he doesn't know anything about, news at 11. What is your source for the majority of immigrants here not adopting our way of life? Slargos? Seriously, what the fuck do you know about this?

I was kidding around.  My central message is: probably nothing all that bad will happen.  People have been talking gloom and doom about immigrants since the first Irish and German got off the boat.  Ultimately everything has been fine.  The basic Anglo-Saxon nature of Americans remains unchanged even if the actual number of Anglo-Saxons is pretty small now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Pat

Ok sorry for calling you a retard (i dont really consider you one, nor do i most americans here). Had to go and writing on my phone, will answer you in full later.

Eddie Teach

I don't think the preponderance of Britishness in Americans is as low as surveys would indicate, for two reasons. One, the original immigrants frequently came here much longer ago and got forgotten. Two, people with mixed ethnic heritage(which is nearly all of us) are more likely to latch on to a "cool" ancestry like German or Irish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?