What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 03:03:53 PM
Back in my day we ate lead paint chips we peeled off the walls AND WE LIKED IT. :mad:

Hey, back in Roman times they flavoured stuff with tasty sugar of lead. As a re-enactor and as a gourmand, you should get right on that action.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habsburg

From the original question:  Zac Efron would be cast as Johnny Quest.  :ultra: :weep:

charliebear

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 01:07:22 PM
Becasuse I like you and I feel charitable towards someone who roots for a team that has Izzo as a coach:

QuoteEEC ALERT:

High Levels of Lead Found in Common Use Garden Hoses

Some common use garden hoses that are sold at local stores such as Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target and Ace Hardware may contain very high levels of lead. Garden hoses tend to be made of PVC, which is a dirty plastic, in which lead is used as a stabilizer.[1]

<snip>  [//quote]

Note that it is ok to drink from "safe" hoses, hence it is clearly the hose that is the potential problem, not the "system".

Thank you for the informative article.  I would never have thought that filling kiddy pools could be bad.

Capetan Mihali

A lot of the smoking issues have definitely become extremely marginal, but are still thinkable at least.  I used one of those apres-elevator ashtrays staying on a smoking floor of a Holiday Inn in Pittsburgh last year (before the new PA smoking laws), and just last week used an ashtray in a garage waiting room (though it might not have been strictly legal, the ashtray was full).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 03:03:53 PM
Back in my day we ate lead paint chips we peeled off the walls AND WE LIKED IT. :mad:

I got alot of lead poisoning as a kid.  It was painful. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Also, comically, the interior stairwell of the Common Pleas Court (the main criminal court) in Philadelphia is full of people (defendants, lawyers, and staff alike) lighting up cigarettes in front of massive cigarette-crossed-out signs, and completely stinks of stale cigarettes.   :D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

All the rockets talk got me all nostalgic- in seventh grade, we fired off a bunch of model rockets from the backyard of my school during science class. Everybody else got Estes Alphas, but the science teacher let me run a Big Bertha, modified to accept a couple extra D engines. The rocket was Timmy-approved, too- I painted it to look like one of the missiles hanging on a VF-1 Valkyrie from Robotech. :nerd:

On the OP:

Actually getting two hours on a Saturday morning where I'd have a whole block of cartoons I wanted to watch is a biggie. TV in general seemed so much better when I was a kid.
Experience bij!

Camper

Quote from: Mikael Hakim on April 15, 2009, 09:23:28 AM
Wow, being a kid these days in North America sucks :(

Especially if you suck up to the prevailing orthodoxy.

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 16, 2009, 05:16:23 PM
Also, comically, the interior stairwell of the Common Pleas Court (the main criminal court) in Philadelphia is full of people (defendants, lawyers, and staff alike) lighting up cigarettes in front of massive cigarette-crossed-out signs, and completely stinks of stale cigarettes.   :D

I think I was there once for jury pool selection.  Thank Cthulhu I didn't get selected. :bleeding:

Brazen

Only three TV stations which stopped broadcasting about 11pm and for a large chunk of the daytime. Test card FTW.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2009, 06:48:08 AM
Only three TV stations which stopped broadcasting about 11pm and for a large chunk of the daytime. Test card FTW.

:D

For me, it was CBS, NBC, ABC, a UHF station(maybe) and a PBS station. When cable came, it BLEW MY MIND.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 06:56:12 AM
I was: not allowed to watch Showtime!  :(

:nelson:

MY PARENTS DID NOT CARE WHAT I WATCHED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son