What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I had forgotten the greatest game ever:

Jarts!  They just don't make games like that anymore.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
I had forgotten the greatest game ever:

Jarts!  They just don't make games like that anymore.

That they don't.  :lol:

Know that soft spot in a child's skull - the part that doesn't fuse until puberty ... ?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2009, 03:27:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2009, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 15, 2009, 10:44:57 AM

Also there was the shooting BB's out of a crack in the garage door.

We had pellet gun fights.  Nobody actually lost an eye so no harm.  These days people wuss out and wear full face protection while shooting paint at eachother.

We do but a 300fps ball of paint in one eye makes the other pop out, rendering you...blind.

Wimp.

It's the world we live in.  :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2009, 03:36:28 PM
It's the world we live in.  :(

Thats the whole point.  Back in the day our parents bought us pellet guns and pellets and told us to run off and have fun.  The only rule was to be back by dinner and for heavens sake if you must shoot at someone, dont take out their eyes.

Simpler times.

saskganesh

we got to bodycheck in 8 and under hockey. we played guns. we played cowboys and indians. we were "allowed" to fight in the schoolyard. we could be "unsupervised" all day in the summer and weekends. I also walked to school alone.
humans were created in their own image

Grey Fox

I plan on letting my children do all that.

Fuck society.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2009, 03:46:48 PM

Fuck society.

Your kids will grow up to be well adjusted just like.....  never mind.

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on April 15, 2009, 03:45:03 PM
we got to bodycheck in 8 and under hockey. we played guns. we played cowboys and indians. we were "allowed" to fight in the schoolyard. we could be "unsupervised" all day in the summer and weekends. I also walked to school alone.

Oh yeah the guns thing. Carl has taken to playing shooting type imagination games - pretending he's shooting "monsters" with a stick, for example. My wife fretted mildly about that but I put my foot down - he can play such stuff if he wants to in my opinion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2009, 03:46:48 PM

Fuck society.

You know, I thought that too.

Then I had kids, and realized that there was no fucking way I could handle something happening to them. I still cannot really relax when the younger one (almost 6) is outside playing and we are not out there keeping an eye on her. And we live in a extremely safe, friendly, and middle class neighborhood.

I don't think I am over-protective, but at the same time, I think some of the things my parents let me do was simply stupid.

My son will not be walking two miles each way across a shitload of traffic to 5th grade for example.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 03:48:03 PM
Oh yeah the guns thing. Carl has taken to playing shooting type imagination games - pretending he's shooting "monsters" with a stick, for example. My wife fretted mildly about that but I put my foot down - he can play such stuff if he wants to in my opinion.

Funny thing about boys, even when their mothers try their best to keep anything remotely resembling a gun away from their child a boy will always find a way around that.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2009, 04:20:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 03:48:03 PM

Funny thing about boys, even when their mothers try their best to keep anything remotely resembling a gun away from their child a boy will always find a way around that.

Heh pointing out the impossibility of stopping him was one of my arguments.  :D

In general it seems better not to attempt to enforce stuff you can't enforce.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2009, 04:20:00 PM

I don't ever remember wanting to play with guns except for when visiting my male cousins.  I generally stuck to my action figures.

Of course, I also played house and barbies with my sisters. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 04:03:50 PM
My son will not be walking two miles each way across a shitload of traffic to 5th grade for example.

:(

I would ride my bike 4 miles to school as much as the weather would allow it, starting in grade 5.  I loved having that freedom.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2009, 04:03:50 PM
You need to make sure it's always through the snowstorm, and uphill. Both ways. :D