What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2009, 02:47:18 PM
What about the garden José? Is he safe?

You can try to drink from him if you want...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2009, 12:51:24 AM
Quote from: dps on April 17, 2009, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2009, 12:35:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 11:23:18 AM
Given that people have been doing this for generations, is there any study that links hose use with adverse results in any way?

I read your other post about proper hose use but really, do you know anyone that "flushes" their hose before using it?

I do.

And as far as studies are concerned, it is trivially easy to find a myriad of studies relating to the dangers of lead poisoning.

And you can also find plenty of studies about the amount of lead that can leech into hose water from unsafe hoses.

How many documented cases are there, if any, in which someone has suffered from lead poisoning and the source of the lead has been water from hoses?  I have doubts that there are any, but I could be wrong.  On the other hand, while I don't have any link on the subject, I'm pretty sure there were many documented cases of children getting lead poisoning from eating paint chips with lead in them.

EDIT:  I was always wary of drinking water from a hose, but that was because I worried about what kinds of bacteria and the like might be living in there, not because of lead.

:boggle:

So you understand that lead is dangerous, and you understand that lead can get into water in a hose, but you cannot believe that people drinking water out of hoses can get lead poisoning?

WTF?

There are probably trace amounts of lead (and worse) in everything that you've consumed today.  My question was, has it ever been documated that anyone has actually drunk enough lead-contaminated water out of hoses to suffer any negative health consequences?  I'm not saying that the answer is, "no", I'm just asking.  And yes, I understand that lead poisoning is cumulative.

HVC

i live in downtown toronto. i think there's lead in my tap water :lol:

*happy Garbon? :p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 18, 2009, 06:20:42 PM
i live in downtown toronto. i think they're lead in my tap water :lol:

omg :x
There was something in the news paper a while ago, but i don't recall if i'm in the "target" area.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2009, 01:14:40 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2009, 08:58:43 AM
Grumbler used to spar with the older legionnaires when the returned from campaigning against the Gauls - nobody cared about a young boy swinging around a gladius or throwing a practice pila.
By the time of the Gallic Wars I had my chariot license, and was cruising the streets with my homies, woofing the chicks.

...unless you meant Marius's campaign in Gallia Cisalpina against the Germans, in which case you are correct.
Ah yes, those were the days of Glory!! Kids these days just don't appreciate things...

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on April 18, 2009, 01:12:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2009, 11:15:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
Berkut, normally you would run the water for a while to let it get cold before drinking.  Most of us wouldnt suck the stuck out. :D

True, although you are still risking elevated amounts of lead. It isn't like there is some ok amount of lead.

The other concern with standing water is using it to fill up a kiddie pool, for example. Not at all unusual to toss the hose into the pool before turning it on.

Why wouldn't you run a hose for a while before filling up a kiddie pool? Water in a hose that has been sitting out for a while is rancid.

I don't doubt that water out of a hose is less than ideal (I won't even drink tap water ordinarily), but I am sure it is safer than the average water sources our ancestors lived with for thousands of years.

Indeed.

However, due to my over-protective nature, I am shooting for something a little better than than the 50% adolescent mortality rate enjoyed by our ancestors for thousands of years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: dps on April 18, 2009, 06:01:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2009, 12:51:24 AM
Quote from: dps on April 17, 2009, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2009, 12:35:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 11:23:18 AM
Given that people have been doing this for generations, is there any study that links hose use with adverse results in any way?

I read your other post about proper hose use but really, do you know anyone that "flushes" their hose before using it?

I do.

And as far as studies are concerned, it is trivially easy to find a myriad of studies relating to the dangers of lead poisoning.

And you can also find plenty of studies about the amount of lead that can leech into hose water from unsafe hoses.

How many documented cases are there, if any, in which someone has suffered from lead poisoning and the source of the lead has been water from hoses?  I have doubts that there are any, but I could be wrong.  On the other hand, while I don't have any link on the subject, I'm pretty sure there were many documented cases of children getting lead poisoning from eating paint chips with lead in them.

EDIT:  I was always wary of drinking water from a hose, but that was because I worried about what kinds of bacteria and the like might be living in there, not because of lead.

:boggle:

So you understand that lead is dangerous, and you understand that lead can get into water in a hose, but you cannot believe that people drinking water out of hoses can get lead poisoning?

WTF?

There are probably trace amounts of lead (and worse) in everything that you've consumed today.  My question was, has it ever been documated that anyone has actually drunk enough lead-contaminated water out of hoses to suffer any negative health consequences?  I'm not saying that the answer is, "no", I'm just asking.  And yes, I understand that lead poisoning is cumulative.

Indeed, there is a lot of lead contamination out there.

Which is why it is a good idea to eliminate it where it is known.

Now, I am guessing that there are not many documented cases of lead poisoning where the obvious culprit was a garden hose - but why would there be? Lead poisoning is diagnosed long after the lead was ingested, if at all, and when it is, there is almost never some smoking gun, unless it is something REALLY obvious like peeling lead paint.

So it behooves us to simply remove sources of contamination, especially where it can be done cheaply and easily.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Every now and then these discussions of ours offer a minor revelation. I'd never heard or thought of drinking from a garden hose until I saw the discussion here, yet everyone in NA seems to have indulged  :huh:

It also explains why alfred russel turned into the wild, swashbuckling, devil-may-care fellow he is today; as a child he was an actual garden-hose fiend  :o

Admiral Yi

I felt the same way when I learned that Yuros vomit uncontrollably at the mere sight of a peanut butter jar.