What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 11:34:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 08:32:50 AM
It should be noted that a former Princess Patty holds the current world record for longest sniper shot. ^_^

Given the history of American friendly fire tragedies, we have learned to fire from further back.

We're just prepping you guys for an easy invasion.

OBAMA: "That BLU-82 that just got dropped on Canadian Parliament?  LOL FRIENDLY FIRE SORRY GUYZ"

We'll just have to burn down Washington ... again.  :D

We'll call on the Militias for help, calling it a tax protest.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
I had forgotten the greatest game ever:

Jarts!  They just don't make games like that anymore.

Yes, I played Jarts and I really wasn't very good at it.  In hindsight, I wonder why folks didn't stand further back when I was throwing.

During heavy spring rains, our street would flood.  We used to go out and play in the flood waters, with all of the other neighbor kids.  We also used to drink water straight from the backyard hose.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:31:15 PM

Yes, I played Jarts and I really wasn't very good at it.  In hindsight, I wonder why folks didn't stand further back when I was throwing.

During heavy spring rains, our street would flood.  We used to go out and play in the flood waters, with all of the other neighbor kids.  We also used to drink water straight from the backyard hose.
People still drink from the hose sometimes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

charliebear

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2009, 12:32:22 PM
Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:31:15 PM

People still drink from the hose sometimes.

I've since been told it's nasty to do that, because of worms and other micro-organisms.  Who knew?  In the summer, hose water was the coldest water anywhere and tasted sooooo good.

crazy canuck

What is wrong with drinking from the backyard hose?

edit: Never mind

QuoteIn the summer, hose water was the coldest water anywhere and tasted sooooo good.

still is.  One of the things that motivates me to get out for a run in the summer is knowing I can cool down running the hose over my head and taking a nice long drink.

charliebear

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 12:36:35 PM

Supposedly there are "things" that thrive in the system, since that water isn't potable. 

Caliga

OMG you might get an amoeba!  and then a peanut allergy.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:38:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 12:36:35 PM

Supposedly there are "things" that thrive in the system, since that water isn't potable. 

The water coming out of your hose is almost certainly coming from the exact same place the water coming out of your sink faucet is.

The problem is that most hoses are made with lead in them, and the lead can leach into the water. Hence drinking out of the hose is a bad idea, unless it is specifically designed to be safe to drink from, in which case it should be marked as such.

Has nothing to do with the "system", whatever that means.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:42:20 PM
OMG you might get an amoeba!  and then a peanut allergy.  :(

Actually, what you might get is lead poisoning. Especially children.

0 rows returned

charliebear

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 12:44:04 PM

Are you sure?  Can you site your source?

Berkut

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 12:44:04 PM

Are you sure?  Can you site your source?

I hav eno source that shows that the "system" is not the problem.

Do you ahve a source that says it is? Might start with a definition.

Or you could google "water hose safety" or something.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Becasuse I like you and I feel charitable towards someone who roots for a team that has Izzo as a coach:

QuoteEEC ALERT:

High Levels of Lead Found in Common Use Garden Hoses

Some common use garden hoses that are sold at local stores such as Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target and Ace Hardware may contain very high levels of lead. Garden hoses tend to be made of PVC, which is a dirty plastic, in which lead is used as a stabilizer.[1]

Some of the hoses tested had lead levels almost 20 times higher than what the EPS allows for drinking water.

Lead is very dangerous to the health of young children; no amount of lead exposure is safe for a child. Lead puts children at risk for brain damage, developmental delays and a host of other very serious health problems.

What You Can DO?

With all garden hoses you should:

§        Check the label on any garden hose you buy. Make sure its safe for drinking or to be used around children.

§        Check the label for any warnings on it saying do not drink, if you cant find the label or just are not sure call about the garden hose you are using call the store or manufacturer and ask questions about the hoses safety;

§        If in doubt do not use around children and pets; 

If you know the hose is safe:

§        Flush any hose before you use it;

§        Use only marine or RV hoses, they are generally safe for drinking and around children.

§        Always have water available for children from a pitcher instead of from a garden hose.

If you are unsure about the safety of a hose:

§        Do not let children drink from any hose;

§        Do not fill kiddy or wading pools with any hoses that may not be safe;

§        Hoses with brass fittings can also leach lead into the water where children play.  [//quote]

Note that it is ok to drink from "safe" hoses, hence it is clearly the hose that is the potential problem, not the "system".

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Back in my day we ate lead paint chips we peeled off the walls AND WE LIKED IT. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points