News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan calling

Started by Josquius, April 20, 2011, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2011, 08:59:14 AM
Not poet.  Poem.  And there are actually three different words for those three meanings.  The only common element is that their pronounciations are similar.  Different tone though. 

Your language sounds like hell for a Westerner to learn.  Our way of speaking is way to lazy to have to pay attention to that sort of nuance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 08:58:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2011, 08:53:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 08:43:37 AM

It's Chinese for lion.  And Poet.  And 10.
not very original, are they?

They aren't eh? When coupled with their lack of standard alphabet & only 500 last names. They are fucked.

It is a lot worse than that.  I've read somewhere that 20% of the Chinese population (that's 1.3 billion people) share only three surnames. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 09:00:02 AM
Not poet.  Poem.  And there are actually three different words for those three meanings.  The only common element is that their pronounciations are similar.  Different tone though. 

Your language sounds like hell for a Westerner to learn.  Our way of speaking is way to lazy to have to pay attention to that sort of nuance.

Imagine how difficult it is for Chinese to learn English then.  If Chinese can do it, so can you :contract:

Monoriu

BTW, Tyr, you must already know that if you move to Japan, you will encounter a lot of Chinese characters, right?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2011, 09:02:01 AM
Imagine how difficult it is for Chinese to learn English then.  If Chinese can do it, so can you :contract:

Heck I haven't even learned Spanish yet and that is one of the easiest languages around :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2011, 09:02:41 AM
BTW, Tyr, you must already know that if you move to Japan, you will encounter a lot of Chinese characters, right?

I could be wrong about this but doesn't Japanese use the same characters as Chinese?

Razgovory

I had several friends who tried to learn Chinese.  They all said it was really fucking hard.  The only one who stuck with it did so because his wife is Chinese.  He still doesn't do it well.  English is much easier.  Hell, Marty figured it out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 09:04:32 AM

Heck I haven't even learned Spanish yet and that is one of the easiest languages around :blush:

Chinese have a responsibility to learn English to communicate with you; you only need to know English  :)

HVC

so easy that that say some letters and figured screw it, we're taking out the consonant sounds and just winging it. Who needs to pronounce j's anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Apparently Romanian is even easier to learn if you already speak French or Italian.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 09:06:20 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2011, 09:02:41 AM

I could be wrong about this but doesn't Japanese use the same characters as Chinese?

The Japanese use a ton of Chinese characters - for naming, every day language use, everything.  The characters are 90% similar, but not 100%.  But they also use their own alphabets. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 09:06:25 AM

I had several friends who tried to learn Chinese.  They all said it was really fucking hard.  The only one who stuck with it did so because his wife is Chinese.  He still doesn't do it well.  English is much easier.  Hell, Marty figured it out.

Then quit learning it.  You should be sending native speakers over to train people how to speak English properly, not trying to learn Chinese. 

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 09:08:12 AM

Apparently Romanian is even easier to learn if you already speak French or Italian.
i work with a romanian woman. and no, no it isn't. It's like a latin and slavic had a love child and then beat it mercilessly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 09:08:12 AM

Speaking of Italians during my stay in Villefranche-sur-Mer some  Italian would show up knowing nothing and be practically fluent in French in just a few weeks.  Drove me nuts.  The languages may not sound much alike but clearly if it is that easy they must be really similar.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2011, 09:10:46 AM
Then quit learning it.  You should be sending native speakers over to train people how to speak English properly, not trying to learn Chinese. 

Everybody here thinks China is going to dominate the world soon so there are lots of people trying to learn Mandarin.  I am sure hilarity will ensue.  I will make sure to tell them not to bother.