News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Amish getting medieval.

Started by HVC, October 07, 2011, 02:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I'm pulling a tim becasue this story made me laugh for some reason.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/10/07/amish_feud_sam_mullet_led_group_attacks_relatives_by_cutting_off.html

QuoteAmish Feud Turns Violent With Attacks on Hair, Beards
"One Amish man told me he'd rather be dead than have his beard cut off."

The latest sign that the end is nigh? The Amish are fighting.

The Associated Press reports that a splinter group of Amish families has, for the past three weeks, been attacking members of Ohio's main Amish community, one of the country's largest. Their calling card: cutting the beards off of men and the hair off of men and women, sometimes down to the scalp.

The attacks are meant to be degrading because Amish women do not typically cut their hair and married men usually grow beards as part of their religion, which traditionally shuns many modern amenities. The feud is believed to be the result of unspecified "spiritual differences," according to the Tribune-Chronicle.

The local sheriff, Frank Abdalla, explained to the paper just how serious the attacks are: "One Amish man told me he'd rather be dead than have his beard cut off."

Local police say that several of the victims have suffered minor injuries, although no charges have been filed, largely because of their reluctance to file police complaints. Community members have, however, reached out to the local sheriff in a bid to end the violence, and investigators intend to file charges of assault and burglary, according to the AP.

According to the Tribune, the group allegedly behind the violence is led by bishop Sam Mullet, who requires his follower to bring back clippings of hair as "proof" that the attacks are carried out. Attackers are both male and female, and in at least one instance have been sent to the homes of close relatives within the main Amish community.

Abdalla told the Tribune that Mullet "thumbed his nose" at other bishops, the title of the Amish church district heads. Abdalla also claims that Mullet has threatened to have him killed multiple times. The sheriff called the clan leader "dangerous," adding, "If I were called tomorrow and told they're all dead up there, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd put him up against Jim Jones."

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Bishop Mullet is attacking the hair?  :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

QuoteCrist Mullet was designated as a Tier II sex offender, which requires him to report his address to the county sheriff every 180 days for 25 years.

Lolz
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

That's strange.  The Amish are usually peaceful to a degree that most Englisch find bizarre and even disturbing at times.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

QuoteThe local sheriff, Frank Abdalla, explained to the paper just how serious the attacks are: "One Amish man told me he'd rather be dead than have his beard cut off."

I don't think that speaks to the severity of the attacks
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.