News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan calling

Started by Josquius, April 20, 2011, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 11:53:10 AM
We paid the Indians to do it for us whilst we sat in the shade and drank tea.

You're a better man than Tyr is, Gunga Din
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 11:53:10 AMThat is very hot even in bulk numbers let alone considering, from what I've heard, this is a very hot feeling 30 degrees.
I guess by that what you mean is that it's got a humid climate?  Well in that case, you should probably avoid visiting the southeastern quadrant of the US during the summer (and in that I would include New York and points south) as it gets that hot or hotter with high humidity.

QuoteWe paid the Indians to do it for us whilst we sat in the shade and drank tea.
Ok, bad example :blush:, but at least some of your ancestors weren't weaklings as they settled the American South with its 'very hot' climate. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 11:55:10 AM
I don't think it is far to place Jos as the typical Brit.
True, but I wonder if other British Languishites think that climate is intolerably hot?  In my mind, cities don't get intolerably hot until they approach say Riyadh's average summer daily high temperatures (42-44 C or 108-110 F).

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2011, 12:04:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 11:55:10 AM
I don't think it is far to place Jos as the typical Brit.
True, but I wonder if other British Languishites think that climate is intolerably hot?  In my mind, cities don't get intolerably hot until they approach say Riyadh's average summer daily high temperatures (42-44 C or 108-110 F).

What's your definition of "intolerably hot"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 12:13:58 PM
Can't really give a straight answer, so many factors at play.
I found Corfu's weather to be quite horrid when I was there many years ago though.
The Balaerics were very uncomfortable,
██████
██████
██████

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 11:53:10 AM
We paid the Indians to do it for us whilst we sat in the shade and drank tea.
Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun.

There seems to have been a different breed of Englishmen in the past.

Ed Anger

Quoteoverrran with American soldiers

You aren't their type when they go a rapin'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 12:21:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 12:13:58 PM
Can't really give a straight answer, so many factors at play.
I found Corfu's weather to be quite horrid when I was there many years ago though.
The Balaerics were very uncomfortable,

Maybe Mongolia is more your thing then :)
Average summer high is 23, and it's not humid at all.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2011, 12:04:44 PM
True, but I wonder if other British Languishites think that climate is intolerably hot?  In my mind, cities don't get intolerably hot until they approach say Riyadh's average summer daily high temperatures (42-44 C or 108-11)

Your mind may tolerate them, but I doubt your body will tolerate temperatures over 100F for lengthy period of time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 16, 2011, 01:14:16 PM
Your mind may tolerate them, but I doubt your body will tolerate temperatures over 100F for lengthy period of time.
I'm not saying I love 100+ weather (especially if it's humid), but I can tolerate it and wouldn't rule out living in/visiting a place for that reason.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2011, 01:22:23 PM
I'm not saying I love 100+ weather (especially if it's humid), but I can tolerate it and wouldn't rule out living in/visiting a place for that reason.

I would.  That is what I get four months a year if I am going someplace I need a break.

Especially this year.  Horrible summer so far and it is not even technically summer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2011, 01:22:23 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 16, 2011, 01:14:16 PM

Glasgow can get intolerably hot in August, sometimes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

:lol:

Quote from: wiki article on GlasgowThe warmest month is usually July, with average highs near 20 °C (68 °F). Autumns are cool to mild, with increasing dampness.  Extremes range from -20 to 31.2 °C (-4 to 88 °F), the latter occurring 4 August 1975.

Grey Fox

Sounds like Tyr should move to Yukon. BB would be proud.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on June 16, 2011, 12:24:51 PM
There seems to have been a different breed of Englishmen in the past.
I wonder if in fact all of them left for the various former British colonies. :hmm: