And we're back!

Main Menu

IKEA exploits the American Worker, is racist

Started by Syt, April 19, 2011, 11:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Remember when there were still trace amounts of pioneer spirit in Americans? Me neither.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2011, 01:40:38 PM
Remember when there were still trace amounts of pioneer spirit in Americans? Me neither.

I'm willing to wager grumbler does.  :hmm:

Pat

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2011, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 19, 2011, 01:14:16 PM
gGuess slargos means stuff like VAT, property tax and other various taxes. isn't Sweden's VAT really high?

No, just a barely noticeable 25%.

VAT is problematic since it is often regressive and not progressive taxation. But we do have lower rates for a lot of stuff (such as culture, 6%, food is another example, 12% iirc). Most of what I spend is spent on rent, food and books so I don't think I do pay a whole lot in VAT, really.

KRonn

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2011, 01:40:38 PM

:(

The Brain

Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2011, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 19, 2011, 01:14:16 PM
gGuess slargos means stuff like VAT, property tax and other various taxes. isn't Sweden's VAT really high?

No, just a barely noticeable 25%.

VAT is problematic since it is often regressive and not progressive taxation. But we do have lower rates for a lot of stuff (such as culture, 6%, food is another example, 12% iirc). Most of what I spend is spent on rent, food and books so I don't think I do pay a whole lot in VAT, really.

I don't eat food.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 12:41:55 PM
The question is rather why one would choose a system where the majority of people has to work under the conditions you describe.

Presumably I'd have to spend more for products if such were the case. Not really a fan of that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pat

Advantageous to the highly mobile like you but disadvantageous to the majority.

edit: seems you changed your post - I can understand you like the system if you're one of the comparatively few winners.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on April 19, 2011, 12:45:14 PM
One might suspect there's something of a culture clash in effect here, however, which might explain some of the friction. See, in Sweden you're actually expected to work and there's no 3 hour siesta/lunch break or basket ball breaks or whatever you muds like to do when you're not busy pretending to look like you're working.  :P

I doubt that is it. After all, I'd prefer a system where I was only at work while I was doing work.  Unfortunately, that's now allowed. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 01:56:14 PM
Advantageous to the highly mobile like you but disadvantageous to the majority.

Changed my post as I realize it didn't address the issue.

Ideologue

People who hate unions hate the free market and freedom of association.  You know who else hated the free market and freedom of association?  The Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2011, 02:59:24 PM
People who hate unions hate the free market and freedom of association.  You know who else hated the free market and freedom of association?  The Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

OK

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2011, 02:59:24 PM

2/10

Please show some effort in your trolls.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pat

garbon