And we're back!

Main Menu

IKEA exploits the American Worker, is racist

Started by Syt, April 19, 2011, 11:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: LaCroix on April 19, 2011, 12:25:56 PM
what an amusing article. teach you to try and make our people productive :D

I wouldn't be very productive either working under such conditions. Why should I be? The company doesn't give a shit about me so as long as I get my money why should I give a shit about the company?

BUT CLEARLY THIS IS THE BEST SYSTEM LOL.

Slargos

Quote from: LaCroix on April 19, 2011, 12:25:56 PM
what an amusing article. teach you to try and make our people productive :D

:lol:

At first I thought it was an Onion piece.

"Damn you for providing us with jobs!"

garbon

Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 12:22:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2011, 12:14:27 PM
Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 12:13:34 PM
That we pay our workers too much? I suppose some could consider that a problem.

:yes:

At least you're honest, I can appreciate that.

Assuming it wasn't just a straight conversion to dollars, that wage seems ridiculous.  Besides, why should the company really spend a lot of effort making its employees happy if they are going to stick around anyway?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Seems kind of obvious that if IKEA wanted to continue paying unskilled labor $19/hour and giving them 5 weeks vacation they would have just built the plant in Sweden.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Pat

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2011, 12:39:13 PM

Assuming it wasn't just a straight conversion to dollars, that wage seems ridiculous.  Besides, why should the company really spend a lot of effort making its employees happy if they are going to stick around anyway?

The question is rather why one would choose a system where the majority of people has to work under the conditions you describe.

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2011, 12:39:13 PM

$19/h is on the low end of a normal industry worker's salary in Sweden.

One might suspect there's something of a culture clash in effect here, however, which might explain some of the friction. See, in Sweden you're actually expected to work and there's no 3 hour siesta/lunch break or basket ball breaks or whatever you muds like to do when you're not busy pretending to look like you're working.  :P

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on April 19, 2011, 12:45:14 PM

$19/h is on the low end of a normal industry worker's salary in Sweden.

It's what I earn in my more-or-less unskilled job that I have besides my studies if I work normal working hours (which I almost never do, because that's when I have school). Weekends and evenings (which is almost always when I work) I earn $25/hour, or more than four times the starting wage at the IKEA plant in this article. I work answering the phone at a taxi company.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2011, 12:24:14 PM
I'd like to make 19$/h. Maybe I should move to Sweden.

and pay 50% in taxes...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Pat

I got my job in August last year. On 28873  sek (~4600 usd) income I paid 2081 sek (~333 usd) in taxes (because I earned so little).

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 01:08:41 PM
I got my job in August last year. On 28873  sek (~4600 usd) income I paid 2081 sek (~333 usd) in taxes (because I earned so little).

No, you paid far more. You're just too ignorant to know it.  :hmm:

Pat

Admittedly this was because you pay no taxes at all up to a certain sum, so not all of that income is taxed. The rate I pay on my taxed income is 29,58% (plus 0,69% that I pay in church taxes as a member of the Church of Sweden :huh: guess I should do something about that).

Pat

I by-pass VAT by getting my stuff from dealextreme.com and my clothes from en.vancl.com  :yeah:

HVC

gGuess slargos means stuff like VAT, property tax and other various taxes. isn't Sweden's VAT really high?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Pat

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on April 19, 2011, 01:14:16 PM
gGuess slargos means stuff like VAT, property tax and other various taxes. isn't Sweden's VAT really high?

No, just a barely noticeable 25%.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.