News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IKEA exploits the American Worker, is racist

Started by Syt, April 19, 2011, 11:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Well in comparison, now working with the Alberta government we have an "association" (not a union because they do not collectively bargain) and its dues are $100 for the year, which I will most likely pay.

But I'm not kidding that dues to my old union (which was a union, because theoretically they do collectively bargain - when the government doesn't just legislate our wages) was on the order of $1000.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2011, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: Gups on April 20, 2011, 10:46:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2011, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: Gups on April 20, 2011, 09:45:06 AM
How does that work?

How can an organisation you are not a member of charge you membership dues? How is it enforced?

In Canada it is all summed up as the "Rand formula".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_formula

It is enforced as an employer's deduction from pay.

Wow, that's fucked up. And I think unions are a good thing by-and-large. At least when they aren't monomplies in an essential  monopoly service like London's tube.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but how can a union survive if it is not coercive?  If I have the option of NOT paying a thousand dollars or more in union dues every year, why would I ever choose to pay it voluntarily?

By providing services you desire? Remember, there's one born every minute.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

That's why contracts negotiated by the union should only be binding on union members. Let the opt-outers negotiate their own salary and benefits.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2011, 08:17:03 PM
Quote from: Pat on April 19, 2011, 04:54:55 PM

Why not?

Because a free market relies on having a large number of buyers and a large number of sellers bidding against each other.  Unions replace the large number of sellers with just one.  That's a monopsony, a price setter not a price taker.

That's the reason I'm for an open shop.  But as MIM sez, naturally crypto-scabs shouldn't be third-party beneficiaries of something they don't contribute to (or, perhaps, should be made to make restitution if they opt to take advantage of a union-negotiated contract).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)