News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of thrones - the books

Started by viper37, April 18, 2011, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Should I get it?  The 4 books (is that all there is?) are on sale for a little over 30$ at Amazon.  Is it worth reading?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Lettow77

Yes. By the time you are done, the new one should allegedly be out.

It is quite excellent.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

That doesn't seem like such a great bulk deal, you could probably find them separately for about the same. But yeah, good series, shame it's not going to be finished.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I say no.  They'll never be finished.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

I would dissent and say they will indeed be finished, but that's just me. He should have them done in eighteen years or so at the latest, and he'll probably live and be capable of writing that long.

Perhaps his draft for the final one will be a legacy work, but that's fine too.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2011, 09:39:47 PM
That doesn't seem like such a great bulk deal, you could probably find them separately for about the same. But yeah, good series, shame it's not going to be finished.

Heh you have no idea whether or not he is going to finish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Lettow probably still in his crib when the first book was released, fuck I was in the 8th grade or so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Personally, I'm going to take a break from O'Connor, Steinbeck and various nonfictions to start the WH40K "Horus Heresy" series and melt my brain.

Razgovory

Nothing wrong with that, you can't be weighty all the time.

jimmy olsen

Sure, it's good, though dark. If you can handle lots of death and misery then go for it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 10:11:49 PM
Lettow probably still in his crib when the first book was released, fuck I was in the 8th grade or so.

What is your obsession with posters' ages?  I didn't realize you had suddenly joined the gays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2011, 10:48:41 PM

What is your obsession with posters' ages?  I didn't realize you had suddenly joined the gays.

I remember things.  I don't know why it's so weird, but everyone is weirded out though when I remember that Dguller is losing his hair, or that Tim is posting an article that Ank posted half a decade ago or that I remember that Lettow under 21.

Also I don't trust people who are younger then me, like you.  Or people who are older then me, like Berkut.  Or people about the same age like Tim.

Lettow77

Lettow is not either under 21. Not since several months ago, anyhow.

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2011, 11:19:02 PM
Lettow is not either under 21. Not since several months ago, anyhow.

Ah, okay.  I was off.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:13:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2011, 10:48:41 PM

I remember things.  I don't know why it's so weird, but everyone is weirded out though when I remember that Dguller is losing his hair, or that Tim is posting an article that Ank posted half a decade ago or that I remember that Lettow under 21.

Also I don't trust people who are younger then me, like you.  Or people who are older then me, like Berkut.  Or people about the same age like Tim.

People with memory sponges are frightening because we suspect they might also recall all the times we made fools of ourselves. The blessing of a poor memory is that you can put things like that behind you.  :P

You, however, are a constant reminder. :console: