News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of thrones - the books

Started by viper37, April 18, 2011, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2011, 06:23:59 AM
As I said in the TV thread. I aint reading those books before RR dies.
Any particular reason, or do you just like to establish arbitrary standards for yourself?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on April 19, 2011, 03:52:02 AM
Might be worth waiting to see what reviews the latest one gets. The first three were excellent - the writing is poor by literary standards but excellent for the genre, but the plot is superbly complex. Unfortunately the fourth novel, although it had its good points generally went nowhere and saw a serious deterioration in prose quality. If Martin returns to form with the fifth, I'd say go for it. 
This is pretty much how i see it, except that I would argue that the first three books are worth reading for the imagery even if the fourth turns out to be the new standard for the series.

I could easily see reading the first three books, and then reading the wikipedia summary of what happens in the books that follow them, and being satisfied.  By the middle of the fourth book it is increasingly hard to care anymore.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2011, 06:46:49 AM
Any particular reason, or do you just like to establish arbitrary standards for yourself?

Because when he dies the series ends. Sure there could be a legacy book or two but my compulsary to read them will be greatly reduce.

It's about what I've seen from you guys that read the books. Most seem angry at RR for taking so long to write the sequels. I prefer to avoid that feeling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I wasn't big on the fourth one either. But then the fourth one was split into the fourth and fifth with most of the boring POVs going to 4 and the interesting ones kept for 5. I'm hopeful for 5.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2011, 06:51:21 AM
I wasn't big on the fourth one either. But then the fourth one was split into the fourth and fifth with most of the boring POVs going to 4 and the interesting ones kept for 5. I'm hopeful for 5.
It's not just the boring POVs, it is also the lack of interesting developments or places.  The Unsullied were boring and unbelievable, and the cities Daenerys was attacking were very ordinary.  There was no "magic" to the events of book 4.  The Appendices to TLotR were written in a snappier style.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I used to stress out about this, but then I realized something...

If Martin drops dead tomorrow, and I never read another word of A Song of Ice and Fire it will still be the best fantasy I've ever read or am likely to ever read. And it isn't even really close.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on April 18, 2011, 09:25:26 PM
Should I get it?  The 4 books (is that all there is?) are on sale for a little over 30$ at Amazon.  Is it worth reading?
I'd say read the books, for sure. The series was one of my favorites, even if (as Berkut says) another book is never written. Though I think the next one is due out sometime this year?

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on April 19, 2011, 07:39:42 AM
Should I get it?  The 4 books (is that all there is?) are on sale for a little over 30$ at Amazon.  Is it worth reading?
I'd say read the books, for sure. The series was one of my favorites, even if (as Berkut says) another book is never written. Though I think the next one is due out sometime this year?

It has been officially announced for this summer.

KRonn

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 07:43:40 AM

Cool. I thought it had been, but it seems delayed all the time.

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on April 19, 2011, 07:44:37 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 07:43:40 AM

Cool. I thought it had been, but it seems delayed all the time.

Well, I kinda hope that the TV series will serve as the spark that Martin needed to work his ass off and finish the books he had pending. AFAIK he said that, if the TV series seasons correspond roughly with the books (he mentioned that two seasons would be needed for Book 3 and three seasons for books 4 and 5), the sixth book would be finished on time for it to fit on the recording schedule. That'd mean that the sixth book should be finished before...2017.  :lol:

KRonn

Hehe... yeah, good point about the tv series motivating Martin to finish the books. He has such a great story in these, and so many fans who want to see it all come to fruition, to find out how the characters end up! Of course we expect lots more twists and turns, as is normal with this story.

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on April 19, 2011, 08:03:10 AM
Hehe... yeah, good point about the tv series motivating Martin to finish the books. He has such a great story in these, and so many fans who want to see it all come to fruition, to find out how the characters end up! Of course we expect lots more twists and turns, as is normal with this story.

Well, it's too much of a coincidence. "Oh, btw, now that the extremely hyped TV series based on my saga is going to hit the screens I've casually finished writing the much expected following book. Oh, yes, it's all a coincidence that I make the announcement when the hype is reaching boiling point. Did I mention that it's going to get published just when the season will finish?"

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 07:27:37 AM
If Martin drops dead tomorrow, and I never read another word of A Song of Ice and Fire it will still be the best fantasy I've ever read or am likely to ever read. And it isn't even really close.
Wow.  :( My condolences.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2011, 11:52:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 09:54:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2011, 09:39:47 PM
That doesn't seem like such a great bulk deal, you could probably find them separately for about the same. But yeah, good series, shame it's not going to be finished.

Heh you have no idea whether or not he is going to finish.

You're really a glass half full kind of guy, aren't you.  <_<

I wouldn't be terribly surprised either way.  Even at his current glacial pace he would still finish in 12 or 13 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2011, 06:56:51 AM
It's not just the boring POVs, it is also the lack of interesting developments or places.  The Unsullied were boring and unbelievable, and the cities Daenerys was attacking were very ordinary.  There was no "magic" to the events of book 4.  The Appendices to TLotR were written in a snappier style.

All that stuff was in book three.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."