News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I can no longer mock the Irish. FML

Started by Caliga, April 10, 2011, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Robert Harper, born in Belfast in 1717... why oh why did you have to emigrate to Philadelphia in 1727 and ultimately become my great great great great great great grandfather!? :weep:

Ok, that's it... I'm not doing any more genealogy work. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Only thing you can do on receipt of news like that is go get blind drunk.

Caliga

:hmm:

If he came from Belfast perhaps he was: Protestant?

Some of these things don't seem to go well together:

QuoteRobert Harper, being forced by persecution to flee from his home in Ireland , secured passage to Philadelphia by becoming an indentured servant to John Buzby, a wealthy Quaker of Oxford Township. He died in 1765 in Philadelphia County, Pa.. He died possessed of a considerable fortune He was living in Oxford Twp.. He was an Iron Worker in Frankford, Montgomery County, Pa.. He was Scotch-Irish.

HVC

if you start calling yourself irish-american i'm gonna hint your ass down and kick you in the nuts <_< :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Scots Irish isn't Irish.  :mad: :scots:

Though I believe I have a touch of Irish Irish too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I recently found out my son is descended from Swedes  :(

I should have researched the origin of my wife's maiden name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2011, 07:32:44 PM
by becoming an indentured servant to John Buzby,

Hey, that's Tonitrus' great great great great great great grandfather! lulz pwn3d.

Caliga

I'm descended from the Busby/Buzby family as well.  Harper married one of their daughters.  Despite being an indentured servant, he was incredibly HOTT like all of his male descendants, so he was able to marry up. :)

Josquius

I'd guess he was a prod. The Anglicans in Ireland liked picking on Calvinists (which the Church of Scotland is) and various other unorthodox protestants just the same as catholics.

How are you doing this BTW? I've always fancied looking into mine.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 10, 2011, 07:50:34 PM
I'd guess he was a prod. The Anglicans liked picking on Calvinists (which the Church of Scotland is) and various other unorthodox protestants just the same as catholics.

How are you doing this BTW? I've always fancied looking into mine.

Ancestry.com has zillions of records in their database from all over.  But you have to pay a bit of money.  But it is a hell of a lot cheaper than getting access to each on its own.  Also simply putting names into Google or Google books can have suprising results to.  So many histories of obscure parts of England are published on google books for free and I found that very useful.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I have been collecting geneaology crap on and off most of my life, and lately I've been using LOL INTERNETS to fill in some of the gaps.

Without going into too much detail, I have ancestry stemming from the following families in the following locales in Britain and on the Continent:

Busby of (Great?) Tew, Oxfordshire, England
Chateau of Charleville, Champagne, France
Eaton of Llewgoogoogaga (or something like that), Radnorshire, Wales
Harper of Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland
Hausele of Bad Kreuznach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Leichtweis of Bad Kreuznach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Lynn of Glanbrücken, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Marjorum of Cheverell, Wiltshire, England
Sheibley of Canton Basel, Switzerland
Watts of Leeds, Maidstone, Kent, England

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2011, 07:57:34 PM
Ancestry.com has zillions of records in their database from all over.  But you have to pay a bit of money.  But it is a hell of a lot cheaper than getting access to each on its own.  Also simply putting names into Google or Google books can have suprising results to.  So many histories of obscure parts of England are published on google books for free and I found that very useful.
I don't pay for Ancestry.com.  It's a giant ripoff because, like you said, you can easily find most of the same stuff for free.

citizen k

ACW records are free for access on ancestry.com until April 14.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2011, 07:42:48 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2011, 07:32:44 PM
by becoming an indentured servant to John Buzby,

Hey, that's Tonitrus' great great great great great great grandfather! lulz pwn3d.

:huh:

CountDeMoney

You seriously have to work with me on those things, Tonitrus.  IMMA THROWING BUT YOU AINT A-SWINGIN SON