News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I can no longer mock the Irish. FML

Started by Caliga, April 10, 2011, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2011, 08:58:37 PM
You seriously have to work with me on those things, Tonitrus.  IMMA THROWING BUT YOU AINT A-SWINGIN SON

That's like throwing at a batter who is sleeping in the dugout.  :lol:

Razgovory

That actually sounds like something CdM would do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

That's what happens when you dig in at the plate.  Or anywhere else.

Razgovory

I had Irish ancestors I believe.  They seemed to have been involved in the same business as my current Italian relatives. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Belfast?

So you have the Good kind of Irish roots. :hug:

<----- 3/8th Good Irish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Yes, I suppose I can still: wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

In the 18th Century, if he was persecuted it was probably because he was a Presbyterian under the penal laws.

Cerr

Yeah he was probably a non-Anglican Protestant.

Read about the United Irishmen Rebellion of 1798 for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Rebellion_of_1798

Viking

I can't mock the irish either since I too have Irish ancestry back in the 1850's.. sorry, 850's I have some ancestors without patronyms with christian first names (almost certainly christian Irish slaves of Viking masters). Apart from that my ancestry consists of "Firstname Firstnamesson, born Iceland" for 30 generations with the exception of one danish woman entering (polluting) my gene pool back in the 17th century.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2011, 08:11:30 PM
I have been collecting geneaology crap on and off most of my life, and lately I've been using LOL INTERNETS to fill in some of the gaps.

Without going into too much detail, I have ancestry stemming from the following families in the following locales in Britain and on the Continent:

Busby of (Great?) Tew, Oxfordshire, England
Chateau of Charleville, Champagne, France
Eaton of Llewgoogoogaga (or something like that), Radnorshire, Wales
Harper of Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland
Hausele of Bad Kreuznach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Leichtweis of Bad Kreuznach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Lynn of Glanbrücken, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Marjorum of Cheverell, Wiltshire, England
Sheibley of Canton Basel, Switzerland
Watts of Leeds, Maidstone, Kent, England

Somebody has a crop of kraut in their background.  :)

Mine came from Baden.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

That would be my poor Palatine/Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry.  AFAIK all of them were in Pennsylvania prior to 1750.  Before that they were in England, where the English weren't sure what to do with them because, although there were fellow Protestants, they had no useful skills. :blush:  Before that, they were in the Rhineland, Alsace, and Switzerland getting repeatedly raped by French armies under Louis XIV. :(

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on April 11, 2011, 06:06:23 AM
In the 18th Century, if he was persecuted it was probably because he was a Presbyterian under the penal laws.
All I really know from the record is that he was "not a Quaker" when he arrived.

I do happen to know that there were a number of Scots-Irish in Ulster prior to the Revolution who ended up in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  My high school was named for Rev. William Tennent, who was one such Scots-Irish Presbyterian.  One of his sons founded Princeton as a Presbyterian seminary originally.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2011, 07:38:41 PM
I recently found out my son is descended from Swedes  :(

I should have researched the origin of my wife's maiden name.

gz
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2011, 08:12:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2011, 07:57:34 PM
Ancestry.com has zillions of records in their database from all over.  But you have to pay a bit of money.  But it is a hell of a lot cheaper than getting access to each on its own.  Also simply putting names into Google or Google books can have suprising results to.  So many histories of obscure parts of England are published on google books for free and I found that very useful.
I don't pay for Ancestry.com.  It's a giant ripoff because, like you said, you can easily find most of the same stuff for free.

I've been rather poor at this. I haven't managed to get past my great-great grandfather from DC who went to Stanford. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I wish I could trace my dad's ancestry back, but you hit a gigantic brick wall as soon as you go to the old country.  WWII was pretty good at destroying all those records in Austria/Poland/Ukraine/wherever...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.