How old were you when you stopped listening to Pop Music?

Started by Savonarola, April 14, 2009, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

From one of the debates in the Katy Perry thread; I was wondering how old people here were when they stopped listening primarily to pop music.

I stopped listening to Top 40 radio when I was 16 in 1988 during the glory days of pop metal, The New Kids on the Block and Madonna.  I've never looked back.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2009, 12:29:19 PM
Stopped?

I mean for those who have stopped listening primarily to Top 40 radio; or whatever the equivalent is in Europe.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

I actually started listening to pop music after I stopped listening to teen crap like heavy metal or folky thingies (like Clannad).

Josquius

Define pop.
I suppose when I was 14 or so I veered away from anything that could be remotely classed as pop and stuck to punk with a bit of rock. When I was 17 I got back into indie and soon after it entered back into fashion so became vaguely pop and...there I am.

But totally manufactured pop- never really. When I was a kid I was a crazy Queen fan.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I'd say 16 or so. The last 2-3 years I've about completely stopped listening to any music.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

As I drive more than I used to now, I guess I actually listen more to pop music than before. Or whatever they play on the radio.

At least I knew who Katy Perry is.

Tamas

Savonarola

Martinus

Well it's not like I listen to pop music exclusively. I guess I have four sources of musical fascination, and each for different reasons.

1. Film music/musicals. I see a movie, like the soundtrack, get it to relive the movie.

2. Indie music. I hear it first on the radio/podcast. Like it for the artistic value, plus usually like the author too (as he or she is being interviewed at the same time).

3. Pop music. I go to a club, have fun dancing to some tune, get it.

4. Classical music. I go to a concert or an opera, or get someone to recommend something to me. I am now on early 20th century composers.

Music 2 and 4 is the kind of music I listen to when I'm home alone, and feel like just sitting down and listening to some music, perhaps while reading a book.

Music 1 and 3 is the kind of music I listen to when I'm traveling, or doing other stuff (e.g. cleaning the flat, preparing to go out, playing WoW).

So I would advance a theory that this has less to do with your musical tastes, and more to your pastimes. For example if you don't go to dance clubs, you are unlikely to get to like some pop piece.

I.e. you are old.

QED.

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on April 14, 2009, 12:39:29 PM
Songs that are currently in the Top 40.

What if you listened to them quite some time before they were in the top 40?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

If you mean by "listening to pop music" following charts and knowing what's "hot" and what's not in mainstream music, then it'll be the mid to late 90s, shortly after leaving school and finishing military service. Probably 1996 or 1997, i.e. aged 20/21.

I still check out new bands (rock, pop, metal), but hardly any of them appear in the charts/mainstream media.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

For example, my current musical library looks like this:

ABBA - The Definitive Collection
Alanis Morissette - The Collection
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Rossini - Overtures
Bronski Beat - Age of Consent
Charles S. McVey - Modern Living
Cher - Believe
Tchaikovsky - 1812
Music from LOTR
Clannad - Legend
Dead Can Dance - Aion, The Serpent's Egg, Towards the Within
Delerium - Karma
Eartha Kitt - The Best Off
Interview with The Vampire OST
Emma Shaplin - Carmine Meo
Enya - Memory of Trees, Watermark
Era - Era
Eurythmics - The Ultimate Collection
Gloria Gaynor - Disco Classics
Johnny Dangerous - White Hot
Katy Perry - One of the Boys
Kylie Minogue - X
Laibach - Jesus Christ Superstar
Led Zeppelin - The Complete Collection
Levi Kresi - The Gospel According to Levi
Madonna - American Life, Hard Candy, Ray of Light
Phantom of the Opera OST
Pet Shop Boys - Pop Art, Yes
Pixies - Wave of Mutilation
Placebo - Covers, Without You I'm Nothing
Queen - Greatest Hits
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits
Rufus Wainwright - Poses, Release the Stars, Want One, Want Two
The Smiths - Louder than Bombs
Solyma - Solyma
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - The Human Menagerie
Karol Szymanowski - King Roger, Concerts
Therion - Deggial, Vowin
Tom Goss - Back to Love
Vangelis - El Greco, Oceanic, Portraits, 1492
Brokeback Mountain OST
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog OST
Mamma Mia OST
Moulin Rouge OST
Queer As Folk OST
Dracula OST
Lost Highway OST
Priscilla Queen of the Desert OST
Velvet Goldmine OST

:huh:

vinraith

There was only a very small window in my life when I spent any time listening to pop music, basically from the early 90's to the late 90's (so basically my teenage years). I started at grunge and abandoned the format around the second coming of the boy bands. I don't miss it. There's plenty of good music out there, just very little of it on the radio.