And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2014, 11:39:49 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:10:38 AM
Thats only because you pretend not to understand something unless the person communicating with you connects all the dots.   And even then sometimes you pretend not to understand.  At least I hope you are just pretending.

I take it that you have responded with a pathetically obvious ad hom because you have no intellectual argument to make to support your assertion that the plot of the TV show has been "dumbed down."  I didn't think you did, because your earlier arguments were gibberish, but I wanted to be sure.  Thanks for not disappointing me.

I am not attacking your ideas.  I am commenting on your behaviour.  Since you throw around the words "ad hom" so much you should probably use them correctly.

Also, you should probably not engage in it yourself.

In any event if you dont think the plot line has been dumbed down then I suppose that speaks to your understanding of the plot lines in the books more than anything.  But I think what is really going on here is the typical Grumbler response since pages ago you defended the deviations from the books as the need to simplify the plot lines for the show.

Now I suppose you see a different between simplifying something and dumbing it down.  No doubt an argument could be made for such a distinction.  But it really all just ends in Grumbleresque gibberish.

One consolation for you is that compared to the Imp, you really are very tall.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:47:34 AM
I am not attacking your ideas.  I am commenting on your behaviour.  Since you throw around the words "ad hom" so much you should probably use them correctly.

Also, you should probably not engage in it yourself.

Wow!  :lol:  Irony truly is NOT just the opposite of wrinkly!   You really do need to look up the definition of an ad hominem argument ("ad hom" for short).  It is precisely the fallacy of commenting on behavior or other characteristics of the presenter of an argument, rather than the content of the argument.  It is precisely because it is a fallacy that I don't engage in it.

QuoteIn any event if you dont think the plot line has been dumbed down then I suppose that speaks to your understanding of the plot lines in the books more than anything.  But I think what is really going on here is the typical Grumbler response since pages ago you defended the deviations from the books as the need to simplify the plot lines for the show.

Again, more classic ad hom argumentation.  If you had a logical response, you would be making it.  Since you are not making a logical argument, we can presume that you cannot.

QuoteNow I suppose you see a different between simplifying something and dumbing it down.  No doubt an argument could be made for such a distinction.  But it really all just ends in Grumbleresque gibberish.

I think it is obvious to everyone whose arguments have ended in gibberish!  :lol:  Thanks, again, for not disappointing.

Please respond with more ad homs.  They are still amusing (to me;  the rest of the audience is streaming towards the exit, as your comedy is pretty one-dimensional).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 10:46:10 PM
For me I t was a crappy time of grinding poverty and exams.
The wealthy who had no worries about life after school or what they were going to eat that night seemed to like it though

I am not wealthy and I loved university for the abundant pussy.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2014, 12:34:40 PM
The wealthy who had no worries about life after school or what they were going to eat that night seemed to like it though

I am not wealthy and I loved university for the abundant pussy.

Yeah, I would think that, if there is any time in your life when it is okay to endure grinding poverty, it is while in university.  Money is too important for some peoples' happiness, I guess, for even university to compensate for its lack.  Must suck to be them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 01:52:06 AM
People who think university was the best time of their life probably grew up with too much money.  Or into a decent country like Sweden.

:huh:

Why do you think that?

You worry too much. Also do not assume all of the people enjoying themselves are rich. Some people don't have a care in the world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

If Tyr had money he'd complain about something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 01:52:06 AM
People who think university was the best time of their life probably grew up with too much money.  Or into a decent country like Sweden.

:huh:

Why do you think that?

I had very little money also but for me it was one of the best periods of my life.  I met a number of very interesting people including a number of people who have been life long friends.  As much as I enjoyed the social scene I enjoyed the educational experience even more. 

One of the things that may have made my university experience more enjoyable is that it definitely was not a means to an end.  I had no idea what I wanted to do when I got there, other than play basketball.  So I was able to enjoy it all without having to achieve anything in particular.  Ironically that is probably also why I did so well academically.  There was no pressure and certainly no expectation that I should do well. 

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 13, 2014, 05:08:28 PM
So... Game of Thrones.

Thats what happens when it gets dumbed down.  :D

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 07:23:52 PM
So... Game of Thrones.

Everyone in this thread should make themselves smarter by watching my Lily Allen video.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 13, 2014, 07:42:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 07:23:52 PM
So... Game of Thrones.

Everyone in this thread should make themselves smarter by watching my Lily Allen video.

Err?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

So I saw the episode in which Theon's sister tries to rescue him from the dreaded Dreadfort.

Question: [spoiler]what did nasty bastard boy show or tell the sister that made her give up the rescue attempt?[/spoiler]