News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2014, 11:59:52 PM
Game of Thrones is now the most popular HBO show ever, even more so than the Sopranos.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/07/game-thrones-mid-season-game-numbers/

Grumber would argue that by saying "the most popular HBO show ever, " the rest of your statement is redundant.

I, on the other hand, appreciate the emphasis that the qualitative end makes.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

GOT is a great show, HBO did a great job with the story line and cast. But given the complex story, the many characters and individual story plots, and so much going on I'm also a bit surprised that it's so popular. The story is pretty easy to follow even given how many different parts to it there are. So I think it's a tribute to how well done HBO's writers have made it while being faithful enough to the books.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2014, 11:52:13 AM
Grumber would argue that by saying "the most popular HBO show ever, " the rest of your statement is redundant.

I would make that as a statement, not an argument.  It is redundent to say that a show is the most popular ever, and then say that it is also more popular than a show that is not as popular.

QuoteI, on the other hand, appreciate the emphasis that the qualitative end makes.

There is no qualitative end here.  What the author meant to say was that it overtook The Sopranos.  That is sufficiently obvious that I would never have mentioned the slight distortion in wording.  You obviously want to call attention to it.  However, i have not a clue as to why you thought it important to hypothesize about what I might say.  You are your own person, and don't need to reference my ideas to affirm your own ideas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on May 12, 2014, 01:38:39 PM
GOT is a great show, HBO did a great job with the story line and cast. But given the complex story, the many characters and individual story plots, and so much going on I'm also a bit surprised that it's so popular. The story is pretty easy to follow even given how many different parts to it there are. So I think it's a tribute to how well done HBO's writers have made it while being faithful enough to the books.

I am pretty sure all the gratuitous nudity, sex and dumbing down the plot lines have a lot to do with it too.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 03:06:49 PM
I am pretty sure all the gratuitous nudity, sex and dumbing down the plot lines have a lot to do with it too.

I disagree that the plot has been "dumbed down."  It has been simplified, certainly, but a lot of what has been cut was itself dumb and the rest was not worth pursuing in a time-limited medium.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

In a cunning move they dumbed down the audience instead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2014, 03:37:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 03:06:49 PM

I disagree that the plot has been "dumbed down."  It has been simplified, certainly, but a lot of what has been cut was itself dumb and the rest was not worth pursuing in a time-limited medium.

This point in the books is a period of intense emotional turmoil for the Imp related to his first love and his conflict with his brother and father over the issue.  All of that has been dumbed down to the Imp being upset that Shae has taken the stand against him.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 03:40:14 PM
This point in the books is a period of intense emotional turmoil for the Imp related to his first love and his conflict with his brother and father over the issue.  All of that has been dumbed down to the Imp being upset that Shae has taken the stand against him.

Tyrion's first marriage was discussed in the show, pretty much exactly as it was in the books.  I imagine it will be again, in the next episode.  It didn't play a role in the trial in the books that I can remember (and it wouldn't make sense for it to play any role in the trial).

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2014, 04:44:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 03:40:14 PM

Tyrion's first marriage was discussed in the show, pretty much exactly as it was in the books.  I imagine it will be again, in the next episode.  It didn't play a role in the trial in the books that I can remember (and it wouldn't make sense for it to play any role in the trial).

It doesnt.  Thats the point.  The Imps anguish comes out at the trial in the show. ie the dumbing down.

Grallon

Very good episode that confirms HBO has found the proper way to translate Martin's books.  No matter the shortcuts and omissions they took compared to the source material - the essence of the narrative and the characters' personalities have been preserved IMO.  Perhaps it is easier with a completely fictional setting - as opposed to say ROME which personally I detested since it took far too many liberties in ascribing XXIst century motives to 1st century historical figures.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 04:56:27 PM
It doesnt.  Thats the point.  The Imps anguish comes out at the trial in the show. ie the dumbing down.

You've lost me.  What is the point, and how is Tyrion's anguish different ("dumbed down") in the show?  The show demonstrated his anguish over the fate of his first wife, and his subsequent distrust of love.  it did it in one conversation rather than two, but that's the nature of the medium.

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 01:52:06 AM
People who think university was the best time of their life probably grew up with too much money.  Or into a decent country like Sweden.

:huh:

Why do you think that?
For me I t was a crappy time of grinding poverty and exams.
The wealthy who had no worries about life after school or what they were going to eat that night seemed to like it though
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2014, 05:33:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 04:56:27 PM

You've lost me. 

Thats only because you pretend not to understand something unless the person communicating with you connects all the dots.   And even then sometimes you pretend not to understand.  At least I hope you are just pretending.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:10:38 AM
Thats only because you pretend not to understand something unless the person communicating with you connects all the dots.   And even then sometimes you pretend not to understand.  At least I hope you are just pretending.

I take it that you have responded with a pathetically obvious ad hom because you have no intellectual argument to make to support your assertion that the plot of the TV show has been "dumbed down."  I didn't think you did, because your earlier arguments were gibberish, but I wanted to be sure.  Thanks for not disappointing me.

Bayraktar!