News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2014, 06:58:01 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's still having the best three-four years of her life...and then some.

I'm pretty sure this statement is gibberish.  The "best... and then some"?   :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2014, 08:22:21 AM
:huh:

In English, you cannot qualify "best" with a phrase that means "with considerably more in addition."  Best is an absolute term.  You can't get "considerably more" than "best."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2014, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2014, 06:58:01 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's still having the best three-four years of her life...and then some.

I'm pretty sure this statement is gibberish.  The "best... and then some"?   :lol:

He's saying that going to class and earning a degree isn't what makes college the best years of many people's lives.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2014, 08:32:30 AM
He's saying that going to class and earning a degree isn't what makes college the best years of many people's lives.

He cannot have my point.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Unless he takes the point from your cold, dead hands.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Game of Thrones is now the most popular HBO show ever, even more so than the Sopranos.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/07/game-thrones-mid-season-game-numbers/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

What's the budget compared to The Sopranos?  8 times? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2014, 06:14:05 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 11, 2014, 02:20:15 AM
Why would she? For most people college is a means to an end, and she has already secured that end and much more.

It is rather sad that there apparently are people who really do believe that college is just a means to an end.  :(  You probably missed out on what should have been the best three or four years of your whole life.

As somebody suffering through finals right now I can honestly say I have had much better times in my life than this  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

People who think university was the best time of their life probably grew up with too much money.  Or into a decent country like Sweden.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on May 12, 2014, 12:43:20 AM
What's the budget compared to The Sopranos?  8 times?
But they're able to sell this to many more overseas market at higher prices than the Sopranos.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 01:52:06 AM
People who think university was the best time of their life probably grew up with too much money.  Or into a decent country like Sweden.

People who think that only people who grew up with too much money could enjoy university probably know no more about university than they do about fornication.

I grew up quite poor, was the first in my family to graduate from college, and received not a penny for any college expenses from my parents or family.  And it was the best four years of my life.  My college friends all feel the same way.  Other friends who attended college feel the same way.  You are in a new environment, away from home, with low expectations, and surrounded by talented like-minded people of your own age.  You'll never get that (less the "talented") again unless you join the Chair Force.

Now, the happiest single year for most will be the first year of marriage.  The passage of time will take care of that memory, though!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2014, 12:58:55 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2014, 06:14:05 AM
It is rather sad that there apparently are people who really do believe that college is just a means to an end.  :(  You probably missed out on what should have been the best three or four years of your whole life.

As somebody suffering through finals right now I can honestly say I have had much better times in my life than this  :lol:
I thought you were getting your degree as a means to an end.  :hmm:

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 01:52:06 AM

:huh:

Why do you think that?