And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 18, 2012, 06:51:42 AM
The wife and I just started watching GoT.  Pretty decent, although I felt the throw Bran from the window scene was insufficiently casually played.
What exactly do you mean?
He seemed to actually give a shit at the time.  Which does not match my reading of the book.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on March 19, 2012, 09:22:45 PM
The wife and I just started watching GoT.  Pretty decent, although I felt the throw Bran from the window scene was insufficiently casually played.
He seemed to actually give a shit at the time.  Which does not match my reading of the book.

The account in the first book was from Bran's POV, later on you revisit it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on March 19, 2012, 08:48:42 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2012, 06:10:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 18, 2012, 08:34:50 PM
Warning - Hideous, possibly spoilerizing, speculation.

It's at this point that Rhaegar, possibly using a glass candle, finds out that the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna and realizes that he had been interpreting the prophecies about the prince who was promised wrong and realizes that she will be the mother. That is why he wins the tourney and makes her the queen of love a beauty.

Ok, you lost me here. What is a glass candle?
And the prophecies about the prince that was promised, how was he interpreting them wrong?

We don't know what the prophesies were specifically but we know Rhaegar has two harsh changes of character, first when he decides to learn the sword and second when he kidnapps Lyanna. I'm speculating, but I thinnk both are prophecy related.

The glass candle can allow the user to see far places. It's just that nobody seems to be able to get it to work. Again, mere speculation on my part.

You don't really need glass candles when you can have prophetic dreams pulled from your ass.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2012, 09:52:20 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 19, 2012, 09:22:45 PM

The account in the first book was from Bran's POV, later on you revisit it.

The difficulty is that in between so many seemingly meaningless dead end story lines are introduced that one cannot be blamed for no longer caring about any of the plot lines.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
The difficulty is that in between so many seemingly meaningless dead end story lines are introduced that one cannot be blamed for no longer caring about any of the plot lines.

So don't read it then?

I was just addressing Scipio's point; tossing the boy did bother Lannister in the books, so there's no inconsistency here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

This is the bestest of threads!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2012, 03:10:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2012, 02:34:17 PM

So don't read it then?

I was just addressing Scipio's point; tossing the boy did bother Lannister in the books, so there's no inconsistency here.

Later he certainly did, after he had time to reflect and everything.

At the time though....all we have is Bran's POV and from there it seemed he was rather non-chalant about itt and though POVs make assumptions about others they tend not to make stuff up.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

We do not get a Jaime PoV until the third book IIRC - so him being nonchalant about it before could have been just an act (after all he acts that way about everything).

You are like the people who claim that Renly and Loras are not gay in the books because there is no scene of them fucking.

Viking

Jaimie didn't care until he was confronted with a situation where his honour was his only remaining shield and he was confronted with a knight with true honour (brienne). When he no longer had his sword and name to hide behind he only had his reputation. His reputation was shit so he had no shield to hide behind. His sworn oath meant nothing, he kept bitching about how Caitlyn Stark released him based on a report of the imp's word but no oath he could swear would satisfy.

That's when he started caring about his honour; when he was chained, imprisoned and de-manipulated.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2012, 04:21:14 PM
It also was completely absurd, as a plot line.  How would Lannister know that Robb would be wounded, and, if wounded, taken to The Crag to be tended to?

I guess I thought Tywin was taking advantage of events, not set the whole thing up beforehand.  I mean the girl seems to have not been in on the plot and since she was the key to whole thing...I don't know I do not recall ever being under the impression he did anythng but find out what was going on and take advantage of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2012, 08:51:43 PM
I'm amazed he's already got 200 pages done.

Don't be amazed.  He will probably not actually use much of that.  He had practically anotehr entire book worth of material he did not actually use for ADWD.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2012, 04:21:14 PM
It also was completely absurd, as a plot line.  How would Lannister know that Robb would be wounded, and, if wounded, taken to The Crag to be tended to?

I guess I thought Tywin was taking advantage of events, not set the whole thing up beforehand.  I mean the girl seems to have not been in on the plot and since she was the key to whole thing...I don't know I do not recall ever being under the impression he did anythng but find out what was going on and take advantage of it.

Sybell Spicer, Jeyne Westerling's mother, is thought to be the granddaughter of Maggy the Frog. Sybell's ancestry in addition to her name meaning prophetess suggests that she might be in posession of some prophetic information about Rob's and Jeyne's near futures. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I got the feeling that Martin changed his mind about what he wanted to do with the Lannisters after the first book.  I wonder if the started out with an outline but at some point just threw it away and makes up shit as he goes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2012, 04:40:53 AM
You are like the people who claim that Renly and Loras are not gay in the books because there is no scene of them fucking.
true, it's quite obvious in all books that they're gay, everyone is just about saying so without using the words.  I think only Sansa and Brienne have dreams about those two and chose to ignore all the signs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on March 22, 2012, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2012, 04:40:53 AM
true, it's quite obvious in all books that they're gay, everyone is just about saying so without using the words.  I think only Sansa and Brienne have dreams about those two and chose to ignore all the signs.

Meh.. fag hags...