News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2012, 10:36:56 PM
I doubt Martin can either. The Vale always struck me as one of those only-in-fantasy-land places.

All of Westeros struck me as that.  It's suppose to be the size of South America, but they move around it fairly quick, and there's only like five cities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

That's one of the things I find so odd about the series. People praise the ASOIF for its worldbuilding, but it feels... thin.There isn't a lot of thought about how the world described would actually work.

Sahib

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2012, 10:42:45 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2012, 10:36:56 PM
I doubt Martin can either. The Vale always struck me as one of those only-in-fantasy-land places.

All of Westeros struck me as that.  It's suppose to be the size of South America, but they move around it fairly quick, and there's only like five cities.

Still more than in the Middle Earth.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on March 03, 2012, 08:31:15 PM
So, Tywin Lannister planned the whole thing about getting Robb Stark to marry Jeyne Westerling, to force the Freys to switch sides.
I was shocked when I found out. Wasn't this a little too cunning for the Lannisters, more like Varys' or Littlefinger's MO?

For Lannisters, yes. For Tywin, no. He is supposed to be devilishly smart. Only Tyrion comes close from the Lannister spawn. That is why they find themselves in deep shit when he croaks.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2012, 12:16:07 PMFor Lannisters, yes. For Tywin, no. He is supposed to be devilishly smart. Only Tyrion comes close from the Lannister spawn. That is why they find themselves in deep shit when he croaks.

Basically the Lannister faction loses Tywin, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys, Kevan and Mace as wise heads in a week leaving Cersei in charge. That is why they find themselves in deep shit, it's not so much they lose the genius, it's more like they lose anybody competent.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 03, 2012, 08:31:15 PM
So, Tywin Lannister planned the whole thing about getting Robb Stark to marry Jeyne Westerling, to force the Freys to switch sides.
I was shocked when I found out. Wasn't this a little too cunning for the Lannisters, more like Varys' or Littlefinger's MO?

It was told on not so many words in book 3, I think.  Tyrion I believe confronted his father about his bannermans forgetting the famous song about the people who betraid Tywin Lannister in the past and his answer was that they didn't forget their duties.
Once you get to the actual marriage, it's easy to understand.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Yeah, that was a pretty bvious one - the moment I read that part I suspected that was a setup.

It was really well done - Robb turned out to be this very capable military leader, far beyond anyone's expectations. But at the end of the day, he was still just a boy, and done in by his being just a boy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 02:11:16 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty bvious one - the moment I read that part I suspected that was a setup.

It was really well done - Robb turned out to be this very capable military leader, far beyond anyone's expectations. But at the end of the day, he was still just a boy, and done in by his being just a boy.

It also was completely absurd, as a plot line.  How would Lannister know that Robb would be wounded, and, if wounded, taken to The Crag to be tended to? 

It works only if you don't pay too close attention, like many of Martin's plot devices.

But you are correct within the context of the story; Robb is defeated because he is still "the boy" enough to think himself so in love with someone he just met that he throws over his entire strategy for the war for the sake of that love.  It would have worked better if this had just been a chance meeting, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2012, 04:21:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

It also was completely absurd, as a plot line.  How would Lannister know that Robb would be wounded, and, if wounded, taken to The Crag to be tended to? 

It works only if you don't pay too close attention, like many of Martin's plot devices.

But you are correct within the context of the story; Robb is defeated because he is still "the boy" enough to think himself so in love with someone he just met that he throws over his entire strategy for the war for the sake of that love.  It would have worked better if this had just been a chance meeting, though.

I have to agree with Grumbles here.  The great plotters in the books must have supernatural prescience for their schemes to work.   They often hinge on events they simply can't control and it's often difficult to see how they would even benefit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: Faeelin on March 04, 2012, 09:13:26 AM
That's one of the things I find so odd about the series. People praise the ASOIF for its worldbuilding, but it feels... thin.There isn't a lot of thought about how the world described would actually work.

That, and the fact that the various families have been around for thousands of years in some cases. It's just kind of weird.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 04, 2012, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on March 04, 2012, 09:13:26 AM

That, and the fact that the various families have been around for thousands of years in some cases. It's just kind of weird.

I thought that strange as well.  Especially considering all the murdering they do to each other.

garbon

I like the trailer using Florence + The Machine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I can certainly understand some questions about how the physics of the world would work (as far as decades long summer/winter, etc.), but to describe the "world" as thin? Huh?

That is kind of dumbfounding to me - Westeros is many things, but I cannot think of any fantasy ever (LotR excepted, although it has become so iconic it is kind of hard to really judge) that has a more real feel to the world the author created.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 09:06:09 PM
That is kind of dumbfounding to me - Westeros is many things, but I cannot think of any fantasy ever (LotR excepted, although it has become so iconic it is kind of hard to really judge) that has a more real feel to the world the author created.

Kate Elliot did pretty good with her Crossroads series and in only 3 books.  Not as admirable in her Crown of Stars series as that was really just fantasy Europe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Martha Wells has done something of the same with several of her books although her country of Ile-Rien has been developed across time (different books take place in different eras) rather than so much on the geography.