News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

So, who was the Knight of the Laughing Tree?
It wasn't that clear in Meeras' story. It could have been either Howland Reed or Eddard Stark.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2012, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2012, 03:01:01 PM
GRR was visiting Toronto this week.  He's got 200 pages written on the 6th book, only 1300 to go!
He's already speaking of being late for the release...
I'm amazed he's already got 200 pages done.

Half of it is actually just Kirk/Spock fan fiction.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Siege on March 17, 2012, 09:45:04 PM
It wasn't that clear in Meeras' story. It could have been either Howland Reed or Eddard Stark.

My money's on Lyanna Stark.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

The wife and I just started watching GoT.  Pretty decent, although I felt the throw Bran from the window scene was insufficiently casually played.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2012, 11:09:57 PM

Whoa, good point. I hadn't considered this possibility.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on March 18, 2012, 06:51:42 AM
The wife and I just started watching GoT.  Pretty decent, although I felt the throw Bran from the window scene was insufficiently casually played.
What exactly do you mean?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Siege on March 18, 2012, 10:26:53 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2012, 11:09:57 PM

Whoa, good point. I hadn't considered this possibility.

The reasons I think it is Lyanna Stark as as follows.

1 - It has been clearly established that Lyanna Stark was a Tomboy (much liky Arya) who rode and fought much like her brothers. This rules out Howland Reed since Meera established at the start of her story that the "little crannogman" didn't ride a horse.

2 - The two details apart from the device on the shield that meera has in the story about the armour is that it fit badly and the knight was small. This rules out Benjen, Eddard, Brandon and Rickard Stark.

3 - Finally the purpose the knight of the Laughing Tree was to get the knight to chastise their bullying squires. Which is what Lyanna had tried to do when she saved the "little crannogman" from the squires in the first place.

Warning - Hideous, possibly spoilerizing, speculation.

It's at this point that Rhaegar, possibly using a glass candle, finds out that the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna and realizes that he had been interpreting the prophecies about the prince who was promised wrong and realizes that she will be the mother. That is why he wins the tourney and makes her the queen of love a beauty.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I think Viking's theories are correct.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Yeah, seems quite clearly Lyanna to me too. Fits in with the whole Rhaegar, baby Jon thing too.
Though...it does seem a bit cliched fantasy. Wonder how it will play out with Martin.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I need to get my hands on a copy of book 5.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
Yeah, seems quite clearly Lyanna to me too. Fits in with the whole Rhaegar, baby Jon thing too.
Though...it does seem a bit cliched fantasy. Wonder how it will play out with Martin.

The dead characters will come back and the living ones will die.  Then come back.

Siege

Quote from: Viking on March 18, 2012, 08:34:50 PM

It's at this point that Rhaegar, possibly using a glass candle, finds out that the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna and realizes that he had been interpreting the prophecies about the prince who was promised wrong and realizes that she will be the mother. That is why he wins the tourney and makes her the queen of love a beauty.

Ok, you lost me here. What is a glass candle?
And the prophecies about the prince that was promised, how was he interpreting them wrong?

Siege

Ok, nevemind about the glass candle:

"A glass candle is a candle made of obsidian. Historically they burned, but they have not been reported to burn in recent memory. One green and three black candles were brought to the Citadel a thousand years before the Doom of Valyria. It is unknown if all glass candles are alike, but the ones found at the Citadel are tall and twisted.

The night before an acolyte of the Citadel says his vows, he must stand a vigil in a vault with nothing but the three black candles and no other light permitted. They must spend the night in darkness unless they can light the candle. According to the maesters, it is to show that even with all the knowledge one has acquired, there are still some things that are impossible."

Siege

Viking

Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2012, 06:10:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 18, 2012, 08:34:50 PM

Ok, you lost me here. What is a glass candle?
And the prophecies about the prince that was promised, how was he interpreting them wrong?

We don't know what the prophesies were specifically but we know Rhaegar has two harsh changes of character, first when he decides to learn the sword and second when he kidnapps Lyanna. I'm speculating, but I thinnk both are prophecy related.

The glass candle can allow the user to see far places. It's just that nobody seems to be able to get it to work. Again, mere speculation on my part.