News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2012, 07:03:57 PMThat's true.  I didn't care about any of Abercrombie's characters in the First Law series by the end of the third chapter.  With Martin, that took till the end of the third book.

I am ambivalent about reading more Martin, but Abercrombie convinced me in three books that I don't want to read any more.  Abercrombie is faster and better in that regard, as well.

I cared about Abercrombie's characters a bit longer than for three chapters, but in essence I agree with you.

Josquius

Quote from: syk on January 16, 2012, 03:33:56 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on January 16, 2012, 12:33:17 PM
Quote from: syk on January 15, 2012, 01:26:20 PM
So many lawful good characters were killed already. I hope Martin gives us a break and lets Jon survive after all. I don't find him boring at all. Predictable in his actions maybe but not boring. The Dorne chapters/characters however were skipworthy boring. Even despite some random hotness in there.

I wouldn't consider Jon lawful good. He's not exactly "always by the rules" type of guy, he does many things he personally thinks are good but go against the established traditions. More like chaotic good.
You're probably right. I just wanted to point out that I perceive him and the Starks as the clearest hero material in the books.
True.
The true heroes in typical fantasy normally aren't the lawful good folk though. Lawful good is the snobby authority figure whose insistence on sticking to the rules is going to doom us all. Snow is very much the typical fantasy character who somehow doesn't play by the rules yet somehow miraculously always wins in this medieval setting where not playing by the rules should get him smacked down.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Hopefully that means Netflix will be getting season 1 soon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2012, 12:01:29 AM
Hopefully that means Netflix will be getting season 1 soon.

I checked out the schedule through TiVo, the entire first season will be broadcast between this week through next weekend.  Set up a Season Pass.

Siege

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 29, 2012, 11:51:32 PM
New trailer for the Season is up.  Looking good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzXsqoJhtE

Whoa, did you see the part when Margaery gets naked in front of Renly?
Who is the dog beating on that castle wall, in single combat?
And Theon getting the salt water thing from his uncle, and Stannis look kind of fat.
The burning of the seven looks awesome, but the attack on Cersai at fleabottom looks too small, too underdone.

And unsullied look retarded and stupid, faaaaaaarrrrrr from the mental image I had of almost robot-soldiers.
Whoa, Arya rocks.
And the fight between the ugly chick that loves Renly and that other dude looks pretty good.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

I hope we get some battles and not just skip past them as per series 1.

Were those meant to be unsullied in the video? Aren't they meant to be bald? Might they not be regular citizens soldiers?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

AFAIK one of the big challenges of season 2 was the filming of the Battle of the Blackwater, with the producers and Martin saying before the shooting began that it was such a pivotal event with so much important stuff happening that they couldn't just handwave it as with the battles of the 1st season.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Ouche...
Brienne, before and after...

I understand, now, why Jaimie says she's ugly :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Hehe, that is probably a pretty cool job for a makeup artist who is usually used to making women look as good as possible...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Razgovory

Impressive.  I didn't imagine her that ugly.  I thought of her as just mannish and big.  But that's the thing when you make book into a film.  Other people imagine characters differently then you do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017