News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Does the fifth book end the series, or does Martin require further volumes to wrap up the story?

syk

Josquius

Quote from: syk on January 15, 2012, 01:26:20 PM
So many lawful good characters were killed already. I hope Martin gives us a break and lets Jon survive after all. I don't find him boring at all. Predictable in his actions maybe but not boring. The Dorne chapters/characters however were skipworthy boring. Even despite some random hotness in there.
Agreed, I hate the Dorne bits.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2012, 06:35:43 PM
So many lawful good characters were killed already. I hope Martin gives us a break and lets Jon survive after all. I don't find him boring at all. Predictable in his actions maybe but not boring. The Dorne chapters/characters however were skipworthy boring. Even despite some random hotness in there.
Agreed, I hate the Dorne bits.

This is a major problem in the books.  As it goes on, the boring parts begin to outnumber the interesting parts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 15, 2012, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2012, 05:00:51 AM
This. Jon is almost certainly Lyanna's and Rhaegar's son (not sure but even Martin could have commented on that already), but Tyrion is more of a crazy conspiracy theory.

This is what I've been thinking all along.  1/3 the way through the last book, though, so I didn't know John dies yet, assholes.

Don't worry, you can be sure he ain't really dead.
No with Melissandre right next to him.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Hansmeister

Quote from: Scipio on January 14, 2012, 03:18:35 PM
Can't wait until the first season hits digital download.

I can buy it for $3 on the Haji market.  I'm sure it is totally legit.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 01:27:43 AM
Im afraid The GRRM kill him, and all the hopes for Jon Targaryen are irrelevant now.
It is his greatness to make us emotionally invested on his characters, and then make us suffer when he kills them.
I cannot recall other writter with the balls to kill his main characters.
To me it is mindblowing, and more realistic.
Well, I didn't know he was dead, and as others said, it means nothing.  Lots of people are supposed dead and seem to come back.
And it might be mindblowing, but it's starting to annoy me.  Fuck, no one will be fully alive by the time he ends his books.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2012, 11:32:29 AMWell, I didn't know he was dead, and as others said, it means nothing.  Lots of people are supposed dead and seem to come back.
And it might be mindblowing, but it's starting to annoy me.  Fuck, no one will be fully alive by the time he ends his books.

Yeah exactly. Once, it's kind of cool. More than once and it's lame. Especially if you include the bits where a chapter ends with someone seemingly getting killed, but then a few chapters later it turns out they were just knocked out.

Solmyr

I wouldn't consider Jon lawful good. He's not exactly "always by the rules" type of guy, he does many things he personally thinks are good but go against the established traditions. More like chaotic good.

syk

Quote from: Solmyr on January 16, 2012, 12:33:17 PM

I wouldn't consider Jon lawful good. He's not exactly "always by the rules" type of guy, he does many things he personally thinks are good but go against the established traditions. More like chaotic good.
You're probably right. I just wanted to point out that I perceive him and the Starks as the clearest hero material in the books.

Scipio

Martin got out-Martined by Joe Abercrombie.  Joe went darker faster and better than Martin, and more rationally, too.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on January 16, 2012, 06:53:39 PM
Martin got out-Martined by Joe Abercrombie.  Joe went darker faster and better than Martin, and more rationally, too.
That'[s true.  I didn't care about any of Abercrombie's characters in the First Law series by the end of the third chapter.  With Martin, that took till the end of the third book.

I am ambivalent about reading more Martin, but Abercrombie convinced me in three books that I don't want to read any more.  Abercrombie is faster and better in that regard, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Joe Abercrombie sucks.

No maps?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"