Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on January 14, 2012, 04:41:17 PM
But now that I've read half of it, I went to a wiki.  And there's a nice theory on Jon Snow.

Marty's been bandying that theory around here for years. Tyrion too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

@Siege: You're a dick :P How could he possibly know when he said he has just finished the third book?

I believe almost certainly Jon will be revealed in time to not be Ned's, but I think Tyrion is a red herring and he works better as a Lannister. There were clues dropped in the last book to suggest he could be Aerys son but I hope that's not the case.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Siege

Im afraid The GRRM kill him, and all the hopes for Jon Targaryen are irrelevant now.
It is his greatness to make us emotionally invested on his characters, and then make us suffer when he kills them.
I cannot recall other writter with the balls to kill his main characters.
To me it is mindblowing, and more realistic.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 01:27:43 AM
Im afraid The GRRM kill him, and all the hopes for Jon Targaryen are irrelevant now.
It is his greatness to make us emotionally invested on his characters, and then make us suffer when he kills them.
We didn't see the official death notice though, just some hinting.  Any "off camera" death he does seems to come up short in the follow through department.  Until they show his lifeless corpse, I'm thinking he's not dead.  Hell, even with a lifeless corpse, there's conveniently a nearby priest who might be able to bring him back from the dead.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 15, 2012, 01:32:53 AM
Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 01:27:43 AM
We didn't see the official death notice though, just some hinting.  Any "off camera" death he does seems to come up short in the follow through department.  Until they show his lifeless corpse, I'm thinking he's not dead.  Hell, even with a lifeless corpse, there's conveniently a nearby priest who might be able to bring him back from the dead.

Exactly. In Westeros death works like in WoW. One of my main complaints.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on January 15, 2012, 01:03:05 AM
@Siege: You're a dick :P How could he possibly know when he said he has just finished the third book?

I believe almost certainly Jon will be revealed in time to not be Ned's, but I think Tyrion is a red herring and he works better as a Lannister. There were clues dropped in the last book to suggest he could be Aerys son but I hope that's not the case.

This. Jon is almost certainly Lyanna's and Rhaegar's son (not sure but even Martin could have commented on that already), but Tyrion is more of a crazy conspiracy theory.

Siege

Faggots are atways rong, so I shall not take your wordh for it,

Solmyr

Jon Snow is almost the most boring character in the book (Bran takes the first prize), so I hope he stays dead.

Siege

I agree. I always jump the jon snow bits whn I reread the books.
Yeah, I suc at life.

Josquius

hmm...killing Jon off would suck story wise. I like him, he's the one with the most potential going for him.

But...him being dead would fit in with GRRMs style. In real life the most interesting characters with big potential are the ones to die. Jon Snow is very much your cliched typical fantasy character- noble but an outsider, mysterious birth circumstances, becomes very powerful at a stupid early age, etc... Seems perfect fodder for Martin to kill in an unglamorous and boring fashion and go "Ha! Real life doesn't work so neatly!".
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

I wonder if the clues being dropped in DwD are going to end up implicating that Jaime and Cersei are Aerys children, with Tyrion being the only true born Lannister by Tywin and his wife.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2012, 05:00:51 AM
This. Jon is almost certainly Lyanna's and Rhaegar's son (not sure but even Martin could have commented on that already), but Tyrion is more of a crazy conspiracy theory.

This is what I've been thinking all along.  1/3 the way through the last book, though, so I didn't know John dies yet, assholes.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

syk

So many lawful good characters were killed already. I hope Martin gives us a break and lets Jon survive after all. I don't find him boring at all. Predictable in his actions maybe but not boring. The Dorne chapters/characters however were skipworthy boring. Even despite some random hotness in there.