News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

I loved how in the second episode, when Jon was leaving for the Wall and Eddard for King's Landing and they were saying farewell, Eddard told Jon kinda warmly "When we meet after I come back we'll talk about your mother". Everybody who read the books must have been thinking "Yeeeeeeeah, right".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2011, 06:38:31 AM
Yep.  The idea that Martin has a secret brilliant ending that he is leading up to seems far-fetched to me.  The fact that it takes him half a decade to write each book tells me that he doesn't know where he is going.  In the end, I think he will settle for this d.e.m.-type solution, because it is easiest.

The hope is that he does know where he is going, just not how to get there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 28, 2011, 07:09:57 AM

The hope is that he does know where he is going, just not how to get there.
When the Martintards were the BSGtards, they said the same thing.  Fool me twice, shame on me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Jon is clearly the son of Aerys and Lyanna, and Tyrion is the son of Aerys and Tywin's wife (I forget her name). Thus Dany will marry both of them, repeating the situation of Aegon the Conqueror and his two sisters, only gender-swapped. :smarty:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2011, 07:38:59 AM
When the Martintards were the BSGtards, they said the same thing.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

It's not a mystery series, the quality of the works he's already published isn't contingent on how well he ties up loose ends.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

If you want some references for the different theories regarding Jon Snow's parents, at "The Tower of the Hand", the most authoritative site about the series, they have this:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

There's a whole section of misteries and explanations for them:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/index.html

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2011, 07:06:17 AM
I loved how in the second episode, when Jon was leaving for the Wall and Eddard for King's Landing and they were saying farewell, Eddard told Jon kinda warmly "When we meet after I come back we'll talk about your mother". Everybody who read the books must have been thinking "Yeeeeeeeah, right".

Yeah that was cute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2011, 02:40:26 AMIf a secret Jew during Holocaust kills someone who threatens to out him and his family to the nazis, would you call this a crime too?

or if a grallon smothered a child because the boy witnessed him fuck his younger brother

:yes: all three scenarios morally equivalent

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2011, 02:40:26 AM
To elaborate (SPOILERS).

(...)

So all her subsequent crimes are based in making sure this truth is not out. So essentially it is self-defense.

Killing newborn babies out of spite for her husband is cool in your book, then.  :P What about purposedfully raising a borderline psychopathic son with no empathy whatsoever by encouraging him to embody all the worse personality traits conceivable? Cool as well? Despising your own brother for no apparent reason than a witch's vision is cool too? Endlessly plotting against perceived enemies out of irrational fear and an overbearing prideful personality is cool as well? Estranging allies, friends and family in favour of ass-lickers and social climbers?

Very little of that had to do with self-defense and much to do with her being, so to speak, a bitch.  ;)

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2011, 12:26:45 PM
Killing newborn babies out of spite for her husband is cool in your book, then.  :P What about purposedfully raising a borderline psychopathic son with no empathy whatsoever by encouraging him to embody all the worse personality traits conceivable? Cool as well? Despising your own brother for no apparent reason than a witch's vision is cool too? Endlessly plotting against perceived enemies out of irrational fear and an overbearing prideful personality is cool as well? Estranging allies, friends and family in favour of ass-lickers and social climbers?

Very little of that had to do with self-defense and much to do with her being, so to speak, a bitch.  ;)
Yes, but the latter is probably what makes her such a hero to Marti.  Birds of a feather and all that.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

What I just don't get is if Jon is Lyanna's kid why doesn't Ned tell his wife. It would save her and the kid a lot of grief and if she can't be trusted...well who can.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2011, 12:26:45 PMVery little of that had to do with self-defense and much to do with her being, so to speak, a bitch.  ;)

seriously, would a nicer or less evil person in her shoes do all that she did? the answer is of course not

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2011, 12:51:41 PM
What I just don't get is if Jon is Lyanna's kid why doesn't Ned tell his wife. It would save her and the kid a lot of grief and if she can't be trusted...well who can.

He promised Lyanna he would not tell anybody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

The discussion of where the plot is going and if will ever be wrapped up in a legitimate manner reminds me of the old Lost discussions.  Or the BSG discussions as Grumbler mentioned.  Hod willing, this one actually works out.  Or, at the least, works out better than those two.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."