News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Must be a hell of a lot more that adds to her character than what I've read in the books so far, what he wrote, and what the tv has shown.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Slargos

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 28, 2011, 03:00:08 AM
Must be a hell of a lot more that adds to her character than what I've read in the books so far, what he wrote, and what the tv has shown.

How far have you come?
Are you aware that Robert's children are actually Jaime's children? Do you realize that the revelation would get them all beheaded?

What really makes their situation different from a jew hiding in nazi germa
ny?

Sophie Scholl

Not that far, but I still think it's one hell of a stretch.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Slargos

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 28, 2011, 03:04:07 AM
Not that far, but I still think it's one hell of a stretch.

Your powers of reasoning are debilitated by having it knocked into your head your whole life that the jews are special and that nothing can ever compare to the Holocaust(tm) no matter how relevant the comparison.

Of course, Marty also used the analogy for the same reason so I guess there are no real Winners here.

Martinus

Zoupa

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2011, 01:44:44 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2011, 01:30:11 AM
What do you mean when people found out about Renly and Loras? Martin didnt write anything specific. Just hints that could mean something, or not. Just like Jon's parents.

It is obvious to anyone who has read the books and is not a moron. And Martin confirmed it in several interviews.

I've read the books 2-3 times, and yeah the hints are there. I dont scour the web for interviews about who might or might not be a fag though.

My bad.  :rolleyes:

Slargos

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2011, 03:45:00 AM
What do you mean when people found out about Renly and Loras? Martin didnt write anything specific. Just hints that could mean something, or not. Just like Jon's parents.

It is obvious to anyone who has read the books and is not a moron. And Martin confirmed it in several interviews.

I've read the books 2-3 times, and yeah the hints are there. I dont scour the web for interviews about who might or might not be a fag though.

Alternatively you're simply not very perceptive.

Zoupa

Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 03:47:30 AM

Alternatively you're simply not very perceptive.

Not really. It was just a passing thought at one point. "Jeez, I wonder if Loras and Renly got it on". Then I moved on.  :mellow:

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on April 27, 2011, 07:56:47 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 27, 2011, 07:32:35 PM
I'm now firmly convinced that they waited to make this series until they had a dwarf that could play Tyrion.

Dinklage is in his 40s and has been acting for decades.  Why would they have to wait?

To discover that the man is an actor who happens to be a dwarf (or whatever the present pc term is).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2011, 02:40:26 AM
To elaborate (SPOILERS).

Her "original crime" is incest. However, genetic issues aside (which are not that severe to begin with), unless there is an element of coercion involved, I don't see how this should be seen as wrong or sinful, not to mention criminal - especially between twin siblings (if there was an age difference a better argument could be made for coercion, but not here).

Then is her crime of "cheating" on her husband. Only that she has no say in her marriage, her husband cries out a different woman's name on their wedding night, while he drunkenly fucks her, and then cheats on her openly anywhere he can. Hardly a crime at all.

Now, the problem is that both of the above non-crimes unfortunately mean that in the oppressive society in which she lives, she and her brother and their children would be dead if the truth was out.

So all her subsequent crimes are based in making sure this truth is not out. So essentially it is self-defense.

If a secret Jew during Holocaust kills someone who threatens to out him and his family to the nazis, would you call this a crime too?

I thought her original crime was murdering her first (trueborn) son?

giving that we are raping any semblance of respect for spoilers.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 02:05:44 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2011, 01:57:06 AM
Yeah thanks you asses.

We need a spoiler tag function. White doesn't cut it anymore since the background is slightly offwhite makign the text visible.  :hmm:

What with that door blasted right open, I can speculate wildly.. so....

- Rhaegar and Llyanna married before dying - > Jon Snow is the rightful king, hooks up with sexbot dany before end to have dothraki horde destroy the white walkers before restoring order and ending the book series.

slargos - you shouldn't have spoiled it, even in off white
polish mary - you shouldn't have quoted a spoiler, even in off white, I missed it (despite knowing the contents)

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2011, 04:19:07 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 02:05:44 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2011, 01:57:06 AM
Yeah thanks you asses.

We need a spoiler tag function. White doesn't cut it anymore since the background is slightly offwhite makign the text visible.  :hmm:

What with that door blasted right open, I can speculate wildly.. so....

Well. You really have to want to look in order to read that white-on-lighter-shade-of-light-blue-or-whatever-it-is so it does the job somewhat.

As for your speculations, it would possibly be too neat. An ending we can see coming? No way.

Razgovory

I like the fact that the motivations of one of the main characters is one of those "little details" to Marty, but hints at homosexuality amongst two secondary characters "obvious" and should be remembered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2011, 04:19:07 AM
- Rhaegar and Llyanna married before dying - > Jon Snow is the rightful king, hooks up with sexbot dany before end to have dothraki horde destroy the white walkers before restoring order and ending the book series. 
Yep.  The idea that Martin has a secret brilliant ending that he is leading up to seems far-fetched to me.  The fact that it takes him half a decade to write each book tells me that he doesn't know where he is going.  In the end, I think he will settle for this d.e.m.-type solution, because it is easiest.

And I enjoy the boasting of people that they could see the subtexts all along and that anybody who did not is a moron.  :lol:  It is pretty clear in this case what is moronic: spending so much lifespan on this and getting so ego-involved.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

He'll probally go and come out with 'Jon Snow really is Ned's bastard. You're all over-thinking fools. :p'
██████
██████
██████