Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Martinus on April 26, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2011, 07:57:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 26, 2011, 07:15:47 AM
Because if they don't interact with Westeros, who gives a shit?

That's my argument.

This was a beef I had with the books.  You have these people on the other side of the world who have little effect on the rest of the story line.  I assume that toward the end several heroes will migrate to the Dragon queen chick and help her as she restores her throne.  Still, it's like having a novel about the Teutonic crusaders but some chapters are devoted to young Genghis Khan.  Sure he'll make an impact on the other characters, it just happens about 7,000 pages down the line.

It's better than a horrible Deus Ex Machina that would have happened if she suddenly appeared out of nowhere, at the head of a dragon/Mongol army, to save Westeros from the Others.
I remain unconvinced that Westeros is worth saving.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I'm still bothered by the fact that Mr. Martin owns the same type of hat as I do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

I'm now firmly convinced that they waited to make this series until they had a dwarf that could play Tyrion.

in other news... is there anybody who has read the books that has any doubt about who Jon Snows parents are. I feel very sure about who they are now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on April 27, 2011, 07:32:35 PM
I'm now firmly convinced that they waited to make this series until they had a dwarf that could play Tyrion.

in other news... is there anybody who has read the books that has any doubt about who Jon Snows parents are. I feel very sure about who they are now.
No. It seems pretty obvious.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Dinklage is in his 40s and has been acting for decades.  Why would they have to wait?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Ratings for Episode 2 were the same, despite the fact that it was Easter and the 1st episode was shown while lots of cable providers were giving a free week of HBO. Very good sign. :)

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/very-promising-ratings-for-episode-two/#comments

1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Well. Sure. But consider this: Martin would love to fuck with us and you're probably wrong. All we have are second hand accounts and why should one be more valid than another?

Martinus

I think most people who read the books have no clue. Unless they read the books several times and/or discuss it with others (whether online or in real life), most people would not catch all the hints at the first reading. Just look at a number of people who were astounded when they found out Renly and Loras were lovers - whereas the hints are dropped all over the books, much more heavily than when it comes to Jon's parentage.

Zoupa

What do you mean when people found out about Renly and Loras? Martin didnt write anything specific. Just hints that could mean something, or not. Just like Jon's parents.

Slargos

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2011, 01:30:11 AM
What do you mean when people found out about Renly and Loras? Martin didnt write anything specific. Just hints that could mean something, or not. Just like Jon's parents.

Disagree. Hint is too weak a word for the way this information is released to the reader. He more or less says it outright.

It doesn't come as any surprise, however, that a lot of people can't deal with that level of subtlety.

Sandor is alive. Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. She eloped, she was not raped. Renly fucked Loras with gusto.

It. Is. Known. And did not take two readings.

Now, Martin could pull a rabbit out of a hat and turn 180 but it would be a cheap ploy. But then, he is the master of cheap ploys.

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2011, 01:30:11 AM

It is obvious to anyone who has read the books and is not a moron. And Martin confirmed it in several interviews.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 01:40:33 AM
Sandor is alive. Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. She eloped, she was not raped. Renly fucked Loras with gusto.

Speaking of which, I want a t-shirt with this printed on. And "Red Wedding is a trap", "Ned gets beheaded", "Tyrion kills Tywin" etc. :P

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2011, 01:46:22 AM

Speaking of which,

I guess there's ample call for a spoiler tag.  :blush: