News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So my Mom has gone crazy. Raz on the March!

Started by Razgovory, April 03, 2011, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2011, 01:38:48 PM
Isn't there some controversy going on now within the field of psychiatry about whether personality disorders should be considered disorders at all? :hmm:

That's not to say you don't "have anything" Raz... in fact it could be quite the opposite conclusion and maybe your issues are more profound than a 'personality disorder'.

I believe you are correct, though if they dispensed with personality disorders I'd just get lumped in with full blow Schizos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2011, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 01:48:45 PM
The asparagus thing was told to me by a temp.  I was later told to ignore it.  I took a few psych tests two years back and that was what they came up with.  There are some co-morbidities but that's the root one I believe.
Asperger's was the 'cool' disorder to have for a while.  I don't think it's as cool as it used to be though... or at least I don't hear it being brought up as often now.

Psychologists have fads.  Previous ones have included Bi-polar, and ADHD and ADD.  It's not a very exact science.  It's barely a science at all really.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 01:51:51 PM
I believe you are correct, though if they dispensed with personality disorders I'd just get lumped in with full blow Schizos.
But see if you are actually schizophrenic, you should definitely be on a specific kind of medication... that's where I was going with that.

On the surface I don't like the idea of personality disorders.  Alot of them just correspond to the standard archetypes we are all familiar with (e.g. "narcissistic personality disorder" = that guy is an asshole).  Just because someone is different from the norm doesn't mean they have a disorder.  Psychologists do everyone, and themsleves, a disservice by trying to pigeonhole all of us.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2011, 01:55:22 PM
On the surface I don't like the idea of personality disorders.  Alot of them just correspond to the standard archetypes we are all familiar with (e.g. "narcissistic personality disorder" = that guy is an asshole).  Just because someone is different from the norm doesn't mean they have a disorder.  Psychologists do everyone, and themsleves, a disservice by trying to pigeonhole all of us.

Well that's why there is this bit: "a clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual,...is associated with present distress...or disability...or with a significant increased risk of suffering"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

What I'm saying is that I would suspect in cases where the person's condition is severe enough to have a 'disorder', it must be more than just a personality complex and is an actual psychological condition.

Darth Wagtaros

Isn't there some controversy going on now within the field of psychiatry about whether personality disorders should be considered disorders at all? :hmm:

That's not to say you don't "have anything" Raz... in fact it could be quite the opposite conclusion and maybe your issues are more profound than a 'personality disorder'.
There is one over whether they can be treated or not, and how much is physical versus mental.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2011, 02:19:02 PM
What I'm saying is that I would suspect in cases where the person's condition is severe enough to have a 'disorder', it must be more than just a personality complex and is an actual psychological condition.

Not sure I follow. Being listed in the first two axes of the DSM seems like a marker of a psychological condition to me.

I guess are you saying that perhaps there is an underlying mental disorder that isn't being addressed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I mean schizophrenic vs. "personality tendencies".

edit: Yes, I saw your edit and that is what I am getting at.

garbon

Neil

Why would they?  After all, they don't consider homosexuality a disorder anymore, so why would anything be a disorder?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2011, 08:01:07 PM
Why would they?  After all, they don't consider homosexuality a disorder anymore, so why would anything be a disorder?

They do in China!  It's called Ego-dystonic something.

Razgovory

Well, my Mom is coming home today.  For a week anyway.  She said she's going to "Hash everything out".  I don't know exactly what that means.  I suspect it means she's going to take a bunch of stuff.  This will likely be an awkward few days.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 07:17:59 AM
She said she's going to "Hash everything out".  I don't know exactly what that means. 
She's going to make a bunch of corned beef hash? :mmm:

Razgovory

Ideologue

Good luck!

Say, if you don't have hallucinations, that means you're not schizotypal, right? :ph34r:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)