News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Koran burning, hilarity ensues

Started by Slargos, April 03, 2011, 03:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2011, 10:13:35 PM
Whoopdeefuckingdo.  A mosque, and a construction site.

10 churches burned in Texas the first two months of 2010;  10 burned in a two-week span in Alabama in 2006.

Wake me up when there are 1,507 mosques burned down in a ten year span like the churches and Jewshacks of 1990-2000, you fucking toad.

We'll have to wait till they shore up the numbers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Man people in the West really hate freedom. I remember a time when being killed for insulting some religion was just " :huh: ". Now people blame the harmless speaker and let the murderous thugs off with a slap on the wrist. The West is taking it in the ass and liking it.

What are your feelings about this, Mr. Horse? Hmmmm... No Sir, I don't like it!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2011, 01:57:18 AM
Also, do you reconcile condemnation of Muslim violence in response to Koran burning with saying that you would not condemn a hypothetical violent response to Westboro Baptists picketing a soldier funeral?

If someone wants to rotten egg the Westboro Baptist clowns, I wouldn't have a big problem with that.
There is a big difference in kind and in severity with killing a bunch of unconnected innocent people to make a point to some ass halfway around the world.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Also, do you reconcile condemnation of Muslim violence in response to Koran burning with saying that you would not condemn a hypothetical violent response to Westboro Baptists picketing a soldier funeral?
My gibberish-to-English translator makes this out as "Bar-bar-bar."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 05, 2011, 11:10:25 AM

If someone wants to rotten egg the Westboro Baptist clowns, I wouldn't have a big problem with that.
There is a big difference in kind and in severity with killing a bunch of unconnected innocent people to make a point to some ass halfway around the world.
It is despicable what the reaction of the Afghan Muslims were. This has made me think more strongly that we should just leave that place, abandoned it to the mad culture they so apparently desire, while the rest of the world continues to pass them by. Where before I was hoping that there were enough Afghans/Muslims there who wanted a better future, in place of the centuries old mind set and dogma so present now. Maybe there still is hope, but it's a long way off, and it's up to them to get the golden opportunity offered before it's too late.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on April 05, 2011, 11:35:30 AM
It is despicable what the reaction of the Afghan Muslims were. This has made me think more strongly that we should just leave that place, abandoned it to the mad culture they so apparently desire, while the rest of the world continues to pass them by. Where before I was hoping that there were enough Afghans/Muslims there who wanted a better future, in place of the centuries old mind set and dogma so present now. Maybe there still is hope, but it's a long way off, and it's up to them to get the golden opportunity offered before it's too late.

We've tried that route.  Didn't end well.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 11:39:19 AM

We tried not being involved in the Muslim world in 2001?  News to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

It doesn't mean that staying is the only option.  We can just fuck up the government that fucks with us, like Taliban did, and leave the inhabitants to pick up the pieces and remember what happened when they fucked with us.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 05, 2011, 11:10:25 AM

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2011, 11:42:35 AM
We tried not being involved in the Muslim world in 2001?  News to me.
Someone was arguing that we tried not being involved in the Muslim world in 2001?  News to me.  When you find out who that was, let me know.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2011, 11:42:49 AM
It doesn't mean that staying is the only option.  We can just fuck up the government that fucks with us, like Taliban did, and leave the inhabitants to pick up the pieces and remember what happened when they fucked with us.
Agreed.  That's a language they understand quite well.  What doesn't work is to "[abandon] it to the mad culture they so apparently desire."

Of course, there are alternatives that don't assume that everyone in the country apparently desires a "mad culture," but the alternative you suggest is certainly feasible.

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 11:39:19 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 05, 2011, 11:35:30 AM

Agreed on that. That's another reason why I've been supportive of the involvement in Afghanistan. Rather than leave it a broken mess, susceptible to what ever radical type is the strongest to take over.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2011, 11:42:49 AM

I doubt that really works unless you go to the kind of draconian levels that would never get support from the limp-wristed western public. Fuck up the governments of Somalia and Afghanistan? How? Kill the leaders? They're like Hydras. Destroy the infrastructure? There is none to destroy. Additionally the terrorism we're facing now may sometimes be state sponsored, but it is certainly far from state regulated. What does Al Qaeda care if you destroy the Taleban leadership?

No, reprisals really only work if you make it hurt so badly that even the zealots hesitate.

You'd probably need to decimate the population and pick up a completely random selection for heinous torture and make sure everyone knows what will happen to their families and friends if they fuck with the West.

I'm not saying I would have a problem with this policy, but I think things will have to progress a bit further before people in general will stomach it.

The Brain

I propose a hearts and minds policy. Tear their hearts out and mind the blood so you don't get it on your nice shirt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2011, 03:08:56 PM
I propose a hearts and minds policy. Tear their hearts out and mind the blood so you don't get it on your nice shirt.
:lol:  I like the jib of your cut.

Bayraktar!